Taulman3D BluPrint

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven Burns, Apr 20, 2016.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That will be interesting. It will challenge the temperature characteristics of the bed glass and the heat break. No worry with bacterial contamination though!

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So it seems blueprint wants to warp. Thinking it might be time to assemble the enclosure and place the BB inside. It seems small parts work fine but larger ones warp, which is a shame since it printed so nicely otherwise...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mike01hu

What about using a raft Henry?

4. Henry feldman

So why is a raft different than a solid bottom?

5. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Try to turn it by 90°, could possibly avoid warping.

6. mike01hu

The raft can be larger in area than the object and can be a lattice so that the stresses that induce warping are less effective but the physics of this leave me baffled other than the raft being much larger than the object and lifting it further from the heated bed so that cooling differentials are less. This is only by observing others comments on this issue as I have no experience of using rafts myself as warp has not been an issue for me, but it may be worth experimenting. I also understand that scaffold filament can be used for this for easy removal of the raft.

7. Henry feldman

Warped at 90 degrees. Will try a raft tonight.

8. Henry feldman

OK @mike01hu so the bad news is the raft curled like a papyrus scroll, but the good news is the part itself printed perfectly:

[​IMG]

The bad news is I can't get the raft off the part?!?! o_O The outer part snapped right off (this stuff is hard/brittle like a polycarbonate) so do I try and scrape it off the surface? Or I may just give up and switch filaments to something less complex for this part... BTW, printed a part of this as a surgical device prototype and it printed gorgeously with incredible surface quality and very precise standoff holes, etc so this stuff does print well when it wants to!

9. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Rafts can be very tricky. Try a small part with a raft and keep increasing the distance setting in S3D until the part comes away fairly cleanly. It took me about 4 to 5 tries to get the raft settings perfect for PLA and now my parts come off with only minimal effort. As I have not played with the Bluprint yet I am unsure of what the setting should be.

10. mike01hu

As I said, I have no experience myself. I note what @Steven Burns says, as there seems to be no fixed answer to using rafts let alone with Blueprint. As my design project will require flat items in exotic filament, I suspect I may be resorting to anti-warp and will have to investigate rafts as well. But, my BigBox build is still under way but missing parts has put a delay in and I am waiting for my Titan kit before I proceed further; hated the build manual though and I am a late builder so have the advantage over you poor souls who struggled through the early rendition! I started rewriting it while waiting but there are so many anomalies and poor images I gave up and just read it and marked up a printed version.:( But on a positive note, it looks pretty in chilli red and smoke grey.

11. Henry feldman

Well I tried a bunch of smaller prints with a raft using a pillow-block model I had on hand. I now have a bunch of pillow blocks with raft stuck on the side. Tried up to 3mm of height with no effect. The stuff is just too brittle. For smaller items it is fantastic, and once my enclosure is complete I may be able to print larger items without warping, but in the mean time I decided to fix this in a different way...

12. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

You could also try a higher skirt in short distance instead of raft, that's easier.