Technical challenges in completing the final stages.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Curt Gareau, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

based on Dual- Non Titan Direct Drive Bowden system
    I have had a problem heating up the extruders to 285 for tightening the HotEnds. Once the temp reaches 250 the LCD displays "Heating Failed". I have changed the max temp to 300, and saved it but still resulted in the same shut down "Heat failure". It continues to change back to the default of 250.
    I have purchased the Carbon Fibre filament which requires a hotter temp, 230 to 250 degrees, but while testing its estep/mm with different temp's around 230 to 245 degrees, the printer would again shut down on the Heat failure. I had read that the PT-100 were to be able to cope with these higher temps.

2. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

Not sure if there is an updated firmware that will assist with these challenges?

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

The extruders should handle 400C. I would flash to @Alex9779 RC6 and then do a PID calibration on the extruders

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm I didn't test so high temps yet, have no materials needing it...
    But I could imagine that some other changes to the firmware might be needed, the max temp is set to 320 at the moment, in the official and also in mine.
    But also the "heating monitoring values" might have have to be changed to reach so high temperatures because the temp is monitored in the way that the firmware expects a certain raise of temperature over a defined amount of time. If that does not happen it will about and bring that heating failed error.

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

It sounds like it needs a PID tune...

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya that for sure, but I thought we were talking about temps +280° C.... But 250° should not be a problem with the current settings and a calibrated PID...

7. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

You'll have to excuse me because I am still learning the technical aspects of this printer, and not familiar with all the codes.
    Not being familiar with your suggestions,I did some research online on the PID Autotune and entered the command on Simplify3d.
    I entereded the command "M303S210C10" and came up with
    READ: PID Autotune finished! Put the last Kp, Ki and Kd constants from below into Configuration.h
    READ: #define DEFAULT_Kp 34.08
    READ: #define DEFAULT_Ki 2.44
    READ: #define DEFAULT_Kd 118.95
    I set the temp of the 00 extruder to 250 before the Autotune and it had a heat failure again. I ran the same temp again after I entered these figures into the PID settings and heat failed when it reached 229 degrees.

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll then need to set the values, for example:

Code:
    M301 P19.56 I0.71 D134.26
    These can then be committed to EEPROM with:

Code:
    M500

9. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

Thank you, I have now made those changes. Is there a way to find max temps are set properly on the board?
    I had also be reviewing the files in the Firmware-master and updated the 3dPrinter with the marlin_direct_dual.hex file. Would that create any problems?

Continued setting the E0 extruder to 250degrees and again had the heat failure at 230 degrees.

>>update>>set temp for E0 to 230 degrees (no problem), then from 230 to 250 degrees (no problem) then from 250 to 285 degrees and failed at 253 degrees.

set temp for E1 to 230 degrees (no problem), then from 230 to 250 degrees (no problem) then from 250 to 285 degrees and failed at 255 degrees.

#9 Curt Gareau, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  10. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

If you update the firmware, then you will undo any PID changes made, so was this before or after the above?

11. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

12. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

After I updated the PID
    -set temp for E0 to 230 degrees (no problem), then from 230 to 250 degrees (no problem) then from 250 to 285 degrees and failed at 253 degrees.

set temp for E1 to 230 degrees (no problem), then from 230 to 250 degrees (no problem) then from 250 to 285 degrees and failed at 255 degrees.

side note
    (prepping for future) I haven't had the chance to print with both extruders at the same time, but wouldn't it be a problem having one setting for the estep/mm when extruders are using 2 different filament types, and that the force needed to pull/push filament with the Dual Hybrid non Titan system.

13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure what to suggest next on your temp problem, except maybe checking that the heater cartridges are tightly screwed in. Is it struggling to reach the temps at 230 (i.e. takes a while) or is the temperature steadily rising until it reaches say 250 ?

on your side note - you specify a new estep/mm as part of the g-code for the tool change script.

14. Curt Gareau

Curt Gareau Member

thanks, The temp did increase probably a little quicker than it probably should. If I can slow the temp increase, I expect it will resolve the problem. Ill continue to test things out. I understand what your talking about with having the heater and PT100 cartridges placed in just the right spot makes a huge difference. I had moved them around in the past and noticed slight differences.
    I will continue to use the PID Auto tune to hopefully resolve the problem.

g-code for estep/mm, I will review the g-codes list first and reply to the post with the code I believe I should enter to make sure I am not giving it a code to go nuclear...I need to learn the codes and how they function.

thanks again.