Temperature drops.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Thesecky, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Thesecky

Thesecky Member

Zajeta slika.PNG Zajeta slika1.PNG My temperature is dropping like that ever since i changed my e3d v6 clone to original. I have done the PID, power supply is 33amp, i switched part cooling fan off with no difference. But the weid thing is, you can see on the picture that for the first few minutes, the temperature was constant, and then everything went to hell. What is causing this problem? Also i checked the wirring for lose connection and everything is ok.

Every print is like this, ussualy the problems occour with the beggining of the prints. When the printer is still and not printing, the temperature is constant. What cou

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Can you mention what the printer is (BigBox?) and what the controller board and firmware are? (Rumba or Duet or?)

A. Firstly I cannot see any reason why changing mechanical parts would cause an electrical/electronics/firmware/software problem, {If it did take out a patent quick ! }

Mechanical parts = heat-sink, heat-break, Al block, nozzle. (= E3D V6)

B. Did you change the heater and thermistor too? and did you change them from cloned parts to E3D heater and thermistor?

C. Did you at any time before this problem update the firmware on the controller? Or change the slicer settings?

E. After doing the PID and entering the new parameters did you input and save the new parameters? If you inputted the parameters but didn't save them then they would be there until you powered off the printer. If you didn't save the new parameters then when you switched the printer on again you would be back with the old parameters. The reason I ask this is because on the top diagram at -28 min the target temp is 195oC but the temperature is more than 200oC. With PID tuning and after the initial rise in temp to the target the temp would not normally vary by over + 6 oC (as the temp at -28 min is above 200oC) . The temperature scale looks right as at -3 min it is below the line showing 191.9 oC.

F. On the second diagram there is a square wave (I assume showing the required temperature) {I am still on an old version of Octoprint and I don't remember seeing this, or maybe just failing memory :) The square wave drops at about -16 min so this looks like there is a command somewhere telling it to change.

G. Is this temperature drop only during a print or just if you set the temperature and let the nozzle heat up without printing? Ah.. you say that if you just heat the nozzle then the temp is ok !!

H. So .. If the change only occurs when printing then something (slicer settings?) set somewhere is telling it to change. In Simplify3D it is possible (if you wish) to set the temperature at every level of the print . I know because I just made a mistake and had set it to...

1 240
    1 220

So it stayed at 240 for all levels and ruined my print. It should have been...

1 240
    2 220

after which all levels (two onwards) would have been at 220

H. I cannot see that changing to the real V6 or even damaging the heater or thermistor could cause this step change, and I don't see how PID parameters even if they were wrong could cause a step change. Similarly a loose connection (random) or cooling fan would not make such a well defined step change.

I would go for a setting somewhere that you are using for all prints, this would certainly happen with Simplify3D. If so the step change would happen at different times but almost certainly at the same level on each problem print.

3. Thesecky

Thesecky Member

Thanks for such a detalied respose. All i did was change my termistor back to the old clone one and now it works fine. I send my message to the support team and they resended me a new one with no problems. Great work from E3d!