SOLVED That's how my z-axis sounds like :(

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Tetrikus, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

I'm currently calibrating the z-axis. The sound while moving the bed downwards is quite annoying and doesn't sound like everything is fine. The vibrations on the leadscrews are also very extreme - the more down the bed is, the more vibrations the leadscrews have.

An impression:
    Youtube: https://youtu.be/AAlx5YL7gVk
    Original: http://content.tetrikus.com/bigbox/IMG_0305.m4v

What am I doing wrong and how could I fix that one?

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I can't watch the video, since I am at work, however have you tried lubricating the lead screws? If you calibrate the lead screws like the instruction say it should be a problem. However, I had vibration one time when the lead screw hit no lubrication..

3. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Yuck! Did you follow the full bed installation process of starting with everything loose? The leadscrews could do with some lithium greese but I'm not sure that's your issue. I would take the leadscrews out, loosen the bed corner bearings and start the process again. Make sure you don't miss any steps.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

5. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

I actually did both of them. But I guess the standoffs got screwed in while mounting the bed - isn't this what should have happened?

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Having the two sides of the bed unlevel shouldn't cause that noise. I deliberately unlevel mine when I'm not in dual mode just to reduce the chance of the second nozzle hitting anything under intense vibration. It looks pretty damn level to me judging by the bed in relation to the back holes:

[​IMG]

The squeakyness is definitely just a case of needing some grease. Apply above and below the brass nut on the bed and then raise and lower to let the brass nut help distribute it.

The ratcheting sound is not good. Have you tuned your stepper motors? Have you tried to figure out precisely where the noise is coming from (top, bottom, motors, etc.)?

7. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Old thread but just to answer, grease will stop the squeak and rattling.