The Best Detail that is Possible?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Guy Owen, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Guy Owen

Guy Owen Member

Have any close-up photos been shown that show the best detail possible with the highest resolution of BigBox? Whether large or small objects, I'm still not clearly understanding the resolution differences between the various nozzles. This will be my first 3D Printer, so I'm a complete Uneducated Newbie!

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

If you look at all the objects they have printed some are quite small, there is a small dragon and a small dump truck I believe at least the dragon shows scale

Pierce likes this.
  3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Think of nozzles as thickness of a pen that you are drawing with, the smaller the nozzle the finer the detail (default is 0.4mm!)

Then there is also the layer height, this is how high each layer of plastic is created. With a 0.4mm nozzle you could do a layer height of 0.1mm, 0.2mm or 0.3mm (or anything in betweeen) the smaller the layer height the less blocky and obvious the curves of the print are. (example of all three http://i.imgur.com/LoO9aEe.jpg)

So the answer depends on what layer height you pick, and the nozzle you have installed, the examples already shown are very detailed, I like that dump truck model as well!
    Hope this helps!

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Ualdayan

Ualdayan Member

You can do some really amazing stuff with a smaller nozzle - with a .25mm nozzle I was printing out things with detail I couldn't even see until magnified. The downside is it was impossible to use with PETG (constant clogging), impossible to use with wood filament (constant clogging), pretty much only plain old ABS/PLA would work for me (and even then I had to up the temperatures quite a bit to make extrusion easier).

Edit: This was with an E3D hotend retrofitted to my old printer, I don't have my BigBox yet.

IMG_0933.JPG

#4 Ualdayan, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Skinny Kid and Pierce like this.
  5. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Any pictures? I think I added the jet pack upgrade so I'll have a full set of nozzles and I'm really interested to see some more fine detail prints.

6. Ualdayan

Ualdayan Member

It should be showing one now, I was having problems with the forum software rejecting the photo as too large even though it was under 1MB.

7. Guy Owen

Guy Owen Member

Thanks for the responses. I think mine might be in the second shipment series. But I'm so busy right now I doubt I could do much with it if I received it soon. I opted for the Dual Kit but will start off with the Single until I gain experience.

8. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

The Dual is two extruders mounted to a single carriage, so you won't have that option......until you print yourself a single carriage :)[​IMG]

9. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Time to standardize some sort of tool changer geometry. At least, you can use the dual carriage with one extruder only to get started. I was considering to add some single extruder carriages to my package, following my doctrine - one material - one nozzle - one extruder; but then, the first call for add-ons to be included in the box also was the last one, it seems.
    And hey, is there a single extruder carrier available already at all? Hope they'll publish a CAD or STL file for it.
    Richrap talked about his MagFit carriage in one of his videos but never published anything about it afaik.

#9 UlrichKliegis, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    mike01hu likes this.