The Masks of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Discussion in 'Show off' started by LiviLammister, Mar 21, 2016.

1. LiviLammister

LiviLammister Active Member

As some of you may know, I got into 3D printing through prop-making. While it is no longer my focus, I still want to make all the masks from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. So far I have 2 of the 25 masks completed. So it's time to get my BB to work!

[​IMG]

I just started the "Couple's Mask" a few minutes ago. As you can see, it nearly takes up the whole bed. Simplify says it will take a few days to finish the print, so hopefully everything will go well

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@LiviLammister : A few days. I'm impressed. Please keep us posted about the progress :)

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Excited to see the finished articles. AND more info on the Titan!!

4. LiviLammister

@PsyVision ah yes the Titan! I should really talk about my experience with it. So far, so excellent.

JohnEsc and PsyVision like this.
  5. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

What kind of real world advantages are you seeing with it on the BigBox?

6. LiviLammister

[​IMG]

Slow progress is sloooow

JohnEsc likes this.
  7. LiviLammister

There isn't any one feature of the BigBox that separates it from the rest of the crowd. Instead it just does everything better than my other printers. Of the printers I have owned (Mendel Prusa, MakerGear M2, Rostock MAX, Ultimaker Original, Lulzbot KITTAZ, Printrbot Play, and BigBox Dual), it prints the most reliably. That is to say, it doesn't randomly stop printing, stop extruding, slip, or any of the other things my other printers do. It was one of the more difficult builds (especially calibrating the z-axis before they released the fix), but it's worth the extra effort

8. LiviLammister

Yup! 54 hours and 44 minutes according to Simplify3D. So it will probably end up being just under 3 days.

9. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I had my assistant put in a preorder for the BigBox a while back. Hopefully it comes in soon. My fault for being unclear. I was wondering if the Titan extruder itself had any advantages to the stock extruder on the BigBox. And I'm guessing it comes at a premium price. So wondering if there's any real world benefits in upgrading to it.

10. LiviLammister

Oh I understand. Yes, the Titan has definite advantages. My favorite thing is the fact that it is geared 3-1. This let's me put a teeny, tiny pancake motor (140 g with 13 Ncm of torque) on it and it still extrudes. Other nice things are that loading the filament is REALLY EASY since the whole thing is lined with a single piece of PTFE from just below the hobbed bolt to the heat break.

11. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

So weight reduction? What does this actually do for the print itself? Allow for higher acceleration speeds? Quality? Would it be worse or better for flexible filaments?

12. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Allows for higher acceleration/better quality.

Both the stock BB and the Titan have fully constrained extruder paths, so same story on flexibles. Maybe a slight edge to the Titan since its path is all PTFE.

13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Good (but slow) progress Liv!

The only thing that's weird with the Titan. It looks like I've only ever seen BB with one of them on (and with a full bowden on the other side?) Whats with that?

14. LiviLammister

This is yet another way to reduce weight. The new carriage is designed for printing with support material (as opposed to dual colors), and since the support material will be dissolved after the print is finished, you don't need the improved material performance from a direct drive.

I still want to make a dual direct chimera using two Titan extruders. It's on the project list.

PsyVision likes this.
  15. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Aha! Yes support material printing is probably the main reason I went for dual.

Let's hope they're available soon!

16. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

@livi picture update?

17. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

@LiviLammister what's with the blue painters tape? Is this XT or some such material that might chew the glass, or have you reverted to it as a preferred method of grip?

18. LiviLammister

Blue painters tape is because I was dead tired trying to get this guy up and running for the fest, and the PLA I was using to calibrate the machine was curling ever so slightly at the edges. Basically, I was too tired to tinker with it to get it to work without the tape (which is pretty easy, but I was tired, so nothing was easy)

19. LiviLammister

Unfortunately the print failed :<. Y-axis slipped. Tomorrow I will start again.

20. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Sadface...