The Nimble

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Amr, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Would getting a zesty nimble "this one" remote direct extruder work with the TC for flexible materials. Just thinking out loud before I pull the trigger, and asking if any one worked on figuring out direct extrusion on the TC, expecting mine to arrive tomorrow and the excitement is giving my brain an exerciser.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Probably, I can see no reason why it wouldnt! It should work for all materials too. Definitely worth the time working on a zesty nimble tool. You'd have a lightweight direct extruder.

Amr likes this.
  3. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

I have a nimble and intend to make modifications to use it with the TC once everything stock is working as expected. If I am the first to design something for the nimble and the E3D TC I'll post link to STLs.

4. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

This is my preliminary design to attach the nimble on the TC head. I haven't printed or tested so I don't want to give out STLs at this point. I managed to avoid making changes to any parts except the TC-V6-DOCK. I'm sure there are problems with this design, but hope to test it out in next few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amr likes this.
  5. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

You Need to make space for the wires to come out of the hotend and up into the sleev along with the metal strip. I tried printing out the Receiver just to have some thing in my hand while designing, it helps my process, when it was done I noticed it does not fit on the dock pins the holes where smaller (I Printed them on a masked SLA printer) I thought this should not be the case. But your design looks cool

6. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

This is a quick modification for the wires. I was thinking of skipping the metal strip and rely on the Nimble drive cable to support the sleeve. I would mount the motor in an alternate location to get the cables to where they need to go without the strip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Amr likes this.
  7. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

looking Good!

8. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I was wondering as I have not ordered the nimble but the images on there website shows the drive cable coming out parallel to the motor shaft, while in the TC it needs to come out at a 90 degrees to the shaft or you will have to mount the stepper for the shaft some where else other than the plexi glass am I correct in my assumption or is there something I am missing

9. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

You are correct. My plan was to mount the motor somewhere other than the plexi glass. Probably some kind of custom mount on the frame - I haven't gotten that far yet. My guess is the stress from moving the Nimble drive cable might be too much for the plexi glass.

10. wHack

wHack Active Member

Isn't the design of this printer less than ideal for a zesty nimble? Since the mounted stepper motor will be decoupled from both the X and Y axes you would get additional rotation of the drive cable relative to position. So for example if you mount the motor in the centered to the printer and 50 mm away from the print bed and you just moved the tool from the back left corner of the print bed to the back right corner with no rotation of the stepper motor at all that would still result in 143.13 degrees of rotation of the drive cable at the end connected to the extruder. Considering the Zesty has a 30:1 ratio and a 40mm circumference of the hob that would translate to 0.5301mm of extrusion or retraction which is not insignificant. At 1.75mm filament that is about 1.275‬mm^3 which can get absorbed if you are using an 0.4mm nozzle and a layer height of 0.2mm but if you are using smaller nozzles and layer heights will become a problem. It's also notable all of these numbers change depending on where you are printing and where you mount the motors.
    Zesty.png

11. wHack

wHack Active Member

Despite what I said above I would love to see this work and I am fascinated to know how it works out if someone tries it.

12. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

mhe likes this.
  13. wHack

wHack Active Member

I honestly don't know how a gimbal would effect it. I would have to think about that, but if it is a valid fix or even just minimizes the problem significantly that is awesome. What makes you think it would fix it?

14. blarbles

blarbles Active Member

I am not a mechanical engineer so this is purely based on amateur experience with printers. I am hoping the motor being entirely in the gimbal would allow the entire motor some freedom to twist and tilt towards each direction the printer head moved which would reduce the twist the drive cable would have to endure during printer movements.

I've already learned from another thread I should keep my mouth shut when it comes to things I'm not an expert in and this may very well be one of those... I am guessing the worst that happens is I get some crappy prints and maybe a broken Nimble if I'm wrong.

15. wHack

wHack Active Member

I would really like a gyroscope and drive cable to see what the combination does do together. It's really hard to figure how they would interact.

16. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Gimbal won't help you, unless the extruder is suspended above the tool head.
    Otherwise it will only eliminate the rotation of the cable at the extruder end, but the rotation at the hotend will remain.

That said, the effect will likely be very minimal and at least *as* big as the bowden non-linearity, or lesser, and only if you print enormous prints spanning the whole width of the bed.

17. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

Why would this be different from a standard Nimble installation ?The Nimble will be moving in X and Y just as it does on most Cartesian printers.Am I misunderstanding something?

18. orcinus

The motor of the Nimble is usually installed above the gantry (above the XY plane).
    Installing it at the back causes issues with the cable rotating at its "pivot" points.

19. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

Why would this be more problematic than the bowden tube or power cables in a direct drive set-up?The Zesty site shows multiple locations for mounting the Nimble.Can anybody point me at a video showing this,the only ones I've found with movement on the drive cable are when it's mounted on a gimbal?

20. orcinus

Because bowden tubes and power cables rotating don't move the hobbed wheel.
    Nimble's cable does. Directly. That is what drives it.