the production spool bracket

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Mar 6, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Having printed it, I see that the production spool bracket is to be placed vertically in place of the current (horizontal) penultimate spinal vertebra. Insodoing it leaves more space for a wide spool.

It just occurred to me (sorry, I'm slow) that perhaps the spine a IMG_0094.jpg s is, provides not just guidance to the nerves and sinews of the box, but important flexural support (stops the large back panel from bending).

Is that true?

So I brought the Z axis down the bottom, and it looks as though the arch of the chain is such that the removed vertebra could just be flipped to the inside of the box when a production spool is in place, and work in parallel with (or more strictly, perpendicular to!) the replacement.

Photo below: you can see the nuts of the spinal element that could be brought to the inside.

Is that a dumb mod?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm a bit confused by your phrasing. Do you want another spine piece on the inside?

I don't really see the back panel flexing at all. The rest of the frame does a good job of keeping everything square

3. R Design

The spine is maybe overkill in it's design, if it's not to reduce bending as well?

At least that's what I thought.

Nobody objected, so I did it... IMG_0099.jpg IMG_0096.jpg

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I mean it might reduce bending a bit, they probably just thought it looked cool :)

5. R Design

Last night I started my 2.2kg spool of Colorfabb XT light grey.

Discovered immediately that you need TWO production spool brackets: two spinal vertebrae need to come off in order to make room for the reel.

However it's not possible to do as above with the second vertebra: the chain comes down too far to allow room for placing it on the inside.

@Greg Holloway does the spine on the BigBox play a structural role, stiffening the back panel?

If so, I guess I'll make something to fix on the inside - or just get on with the project to have all spools mounted externally in an humidity-free container.

6. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

@R Design There's no structural component to the spine per say, unless you call supporting the cables structural as I do.

Mike Kelly likes this.