The "thinner black and yellow wires" WHICH? ......

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I'm reading through the steps in the "Prepping the Wiring" before doing anything, just to see that each step works, that I understand where all the wires connect and there any no anomalies.

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Big..._By_Step_Assembly_Process#Prepping_The_Wiring

The first problem I arrived at is the stage where you...

"Plug the thinner Black & Yellow wires with the connector on the end into the Connector Labelled Y-.

However we have two sets of black and yellow wires BOTH with IDENTICAL connects on the end.

The black and yellow wires with (black) connectors go to the limit (micro) switches on the X and Y axis. During assembly I don't remember being told e.g. "use the thinner black and yellow wired limit switches on HHH and the thicker on KKK"

Checking with a meter, one pair goes to the X-Axis motor mount with the Y-Axis limit switch on it and the other goes to the X-Axis Carriage holding the extruders so it's possible to figure it out but where did the "thinner wires" bit come from?

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Well, there are thick yellow wires for the Hotend, so maybe just a little more clarification to help.

3. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

It just means "thinner in general", compared to the other wires.

4. Old_Tafr

Thinner in general does not escape the fact that there are TWO to choose from and it's fairly obvious that the "thicker" pairs of yellow wires are those to the heaters and are unrelated to the limit switches.

I'm sure I remember a post where X and Y (limit switches) were mixed up resulting in the heads crashing as the correct limit switch didn't operate.

What needs to happen in the instructions is to have a positive instruction by uniquely defining which wire is which. Some effort to label the wires prior to assembling the base would have been the obvious action here.

5. Kick2box

It's easy to distinguish by identifying the bundle with the extruder-cables. Y has only the switch- and the motor-cables.

6. Old_Tafr

Exactly............. so rather than saying the "thinner" which is meaningless (as the two pairs are IDENTICAL :) then say.....

Identify the Y limit switch (black/yellow pair) as the braid only contains a motor wire (X) and limit switch black/yellow pair coming from the X-Axis motor mount.

This is being positive, saving time and removing confusion.

The WiKi needs to be edited to remove this "thinner" meaningless confusion

7. Kick2box

Seriously, I'm not a native english speaker, but the instructions are bullet-proof. You found out at least... You're just supposed to learn something about your printer, at least you bought a kit.

8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I've added this to the build wiki to make it clearer.

9. sebastiaan

sebastiaan Member

I'm working on the wiring for my bigbox dual and it still reads "Plug the thinner Black & Yellow wires with the connector on the end into the Connector Labelled Y-. " It's not clear to me which of the two "thinner" wires I need to plug in the Rumba.

Edit: found it an image down. Maybe the order of the images / instructions can be changed to make this a bit clearer.

#9 sebastiaan, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. Old_Tafr

See my post on the same subject of "thinner"

If you trace the wires back you can tell which is X and which is Y, this worked for me.

X motor is the one on the right on the carriage that moves back and forth. Y is the one fixed on the back panel and I think there the "X" sleeve has only the motor wire and the end stop in it........... the one that goes through the chain top right. If you look through the inspection hatch in the lower panel you can see which is which. so the black yellow in a sleeve with a 4 wire motor connection is X.

Pushed for time but will follow up later today

Instructions will get updated.