Thermal Runaway

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by tomfitzphilly, Oct 26, 2016.

1. tomfitzphilly

tomfitzphilly Member

I got a Kickstarter BBPro and built it up and ran it a few months ago. I couldn't get the little boat to stick to the plate and I had other things to do so I ordered some Kapton sheets and lost interest for a while. I put the sheets on yesterday and fired it up. After recalibrating the Z axis, I ran the boat. 2 things happened:
    1 - the first 15 or 20 layers printed beautifully after which the boat was warped enough that it hit the print head
    2 - I got a thermal runaway warning

I shut it down and went home

Today the nozzle won't heat. I assume I blew something. Apparently the PID (which I think is the temperature feedback controller).

a) Is that right?
    b) Are there schematics and layouts?
    c) Is the firmware that shipped with the original BBPro the most current, and if not where do I get an upgrade?

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

It's more likely you have a bad connection than that you've permanently damaged anything. inspect all the plugs going to the board for loose pins and ensure they're seated corectly. Check all the screw terminals are tight and making good contact.

The thermal runaway would be consistent with a fault in the heating system so chances are if you find and correct that then it'll solve both problems.

It sounds like you have the same version as me and yes there are more recent firmwares- I think I have an RC6 variant. There are forum posts on the upgrade process if you have a search.

3. tomfitzphilly

tomfitzphilly Member

The thermal runaway would be consistent with a fault in the heating system so chances are if you find and correct that then it'll solve both problems.

---That worked. There's a loose wire somewhere in the nozzle heater.

It sounds like you have the same version as me and yes there are more recent firmwares- I think I have an RC6 variant. There are forum posts on the upgrade process if you have a search.

---Thanks, I will look. I find navigating the forum a bit cumbersome.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member