Thermistor Issue?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by larryj, Nov 12, 2014.

1. larryj

larryj Member

Installed my new V6 and having problems getting it to fully heat.

With the thermistor installed (using Repetier .91 and .92, thermistor type of 8) and I attempt to heat the hotend it shows that it's heating (very quickly, 9 - 12 deg jumps) and is at full heat in less than a minute. The problem is the hotend is no where near the temperature reported. A quick IR temp check show the heat break at 60 tops - no where near the 160+ to melt PLA.

If I take the thermistor out then the hotend gets very hot, with the heat break easily reaching printing temps.

I've tried another Semitec 104GT-2 thermistor, results are the same.

2. ichbinsnur

ichbinsnur Member

The HEATBREAK sholdn't get hot.

Only the heater block istelf should heat.

What temp readings did Repetier report?

3. larryj

larryj Member

Well... the only place on the extruder that I get a reading higher than 30 is right where the heat break goes into the heat block. That will get as high as 60.

Repetier shows it going from 23 (room temp) to 185 in less than a minute. Once it hits 185 Repeteir starts regulating the temp and it doesn't go higher, but the hotend is nowhere near as hot as my V5 and it is not hot enough to even soften PLA. As soon as I pull the thermistor out of the heatblock the temp starts going up.

Another weird thing is that I have EXTRUDER_FAN_COOL_TEMP set to 50, yet the fan turns on as soon as I enable the extruder (temp showing 23) - shouldn't it be waiting until the temp hits 50? The fan will stay on until the extruder is disabled and Repetier shows the temp lower than 50 (as I expect).

I'm going to put my V5 back in and see if I still have the same issue - maybe I messed up something else during the install.

4. ichbinsnur

ichbinsnur Member

Dou you have a multimeter with a thermocoupler? thry measuring with that.

Anyway the Heaterblock should get hot, maybe you chose the wrong thermistor table?