Thermistor Issue

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by TheJimReaper, Jul 20, 2018.

1. TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper Member

Hi guys,

I bought the E3D V6 back in May, I had an issue with a small blockage a few days ago, after clearing it out and still having a few problems I ended up having to replace the nozzle. After replacing the nozzle I had some oozing! Thankfully I caught it early and there wasn't very much. Cleaned everything up and now I seem to be having an issue with the thermistor not reading the temps properly! I'm printing with the nozzle temp of 200°C, but the temps are fluctuating between 175°C and 205°C.
    I did get a few thermal runaway errors due to a loose connection which I fixed, but now I have this fluctuation!

Is there a way to test the thermistor to make sure it's working properly, could it be something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

You could test the reststance of the thermistor. At 30 deg C an E3D thermistor should have a resistance of 76.8 ohm (just measured it, yes it is bloody hot in Holland ;-)

3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

This seems more like a temperature stability issue. Have you run a PID autotune? Thermistors often have slight offsets from the actual temperature, but wouldn't give you different readings for the same temperature.

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

77kohm sounds about right for a thermistor at that temperature. 77ohm does not.

5. TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper Member

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. I did do the PID tuning and still had the same issue, however whilst trying to test the thermistor and other bits. My wife who was helping me as I have arthritic hands broke the wires to the thermistor then whilst trying to remove the thermistor so I could get a replacement, she went and broke the nozzle and throat in the heat block!! Don't ask me how!!

So, she bought me a whole new hotend set up!!

Thanks anyway guys