Thermocouple / high temp upgrade!

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by jbainesy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. jbainesy

jbainesy Member

Hi!

Just wondering, I'd like to print exotic materials with my E3D hot-end and, as stated on your product page, it is capable of higher temperatures IF a thermocouple is used instead of the provided thermistor.

Can we get a short "how to" on this?

Specifically:

* What would we need to change in the firmware (I use marlin)
    * How can we determine if we need the 'add on board' or if we can just directly wire the thermocouple to our boards (I have a Melzi)
    * Anything else I might not have thought of!

I am assuming I will need the add-on board, but I have no idea if I'm honest!

Changing the firmware is something I can do, but only if I have some basic instructions, I assume it's just a matter of changing the thermistor 'beta' values or something, but again, I'd appreciate any help to make sure I do it correctly!

Thanks in advance for any help ;-)

2. jbainesy

jbainesy Member

Errr... Sorry...

I'm buying this for my NEW bot, which will have a RUMBA board, so - I would need instructions related to that board ;-)

It sounds like I'll need the add-on board, but I have no idea how to use it! (Unless it simply hooks up to the thermistor input)

3. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

The Rumba doesn't have any onboard thermocouple amplifiers available, which means you will need an external add-on board. Unfortunately right now we don't have any in stock, and are having a hard time getting more so I can't give you a firm timeframe on when they might be back, sorry about that!

Sanjay

4. jbainesy

jbainesy Member

Thanks for the reply Sanjay.

Damn! I am itching to get the hotend so I'll order that for now. At least I now know what I will need when I upgrade the unit to use a thermocouple - thanks!

Assuming that this board would attach to spare pins? or does it attach to the normal thermistor pins? And I do imagine the firmware would need a tweak, is there a "beta" value for the thermocouple like with thermistors or, how does this work? do you know?

Cheers ;-)