Thermocouple with Kraken

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by CleaverAlias, Mar 30, 2014.

1. CleaverAlias

CleaverAlias Member

Hi,

Just started setting up my Kraken and noticed it ships with thermistors. Can the Kraken be used with thermocouples if your existing board supports it.

Thanks guys!

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi!

There is no reason that The Kraken cannot run with thermocouples. Since the hot-side is all-metal (just the same as the E3D v5) it will be able to reach the same temperatures (>400C). What are you planning on printing?

Be wary that the insulation on thermocouples is often PTFE so that may impose temperature limitations.

One piece of advice if you are going that hot with a few nozzles is that you may want to consider heat-sinking your reservoir. Running 4 heads at 220C with an un-insulated tank of 1.5l of water reached an equilibrium at about 35C - but keep an eye on this temperature if your nozzles are hotter.

Keep us posted on your installation...

Cheers,
    Josh

3. CleaverAlias

CleaverAlias Member

Hi.

I am planning to print some PLA and T-glase. I set up a refrigerated 12 liter recirculating system that should offset those temps. I have inline gauges to help monitor the temp both into and out of the Kraken and reservoir to get an idea how hot I'm getting. Ideally, what temp should the Kraken hold while four head printing Nylon or PLA?

Thanks.

4. CleaverAlias

CleaverAlias Member

Hello,

With the heat cartridge, is there a proper method of extending the wire without disturbing its functionality? Is there a proper wire to do the extension or should I simply replace these cartridges to preserve the currents continuity. I would like another 1/2 meter as my build volume is 400x300x300.

Thanks

5. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

You can extend the wires as long as you use a minimum of 18 gauge wire, the heat cartridge uses 3.5A - 4A of current at 12V.

6. CleaverAlias

CleaverAlias Member

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I'm sure I have some 16awg, so I will use that!

Thanks Eaglezsoar!

7. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

16 gauge is a little overkill but better to go oversize than undersized. Be sure to use some heatshrink on the connections so
    there is no possibility of them shorting together when the printer is moving all over. Happy Printing!