Thinking of building a Dual BigBox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Bo Herrmannsen, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Bo Herrmannsen

Bo Herrmannsen Active Member

So over the last few weeks i have been building up a model of the dual Bigbox

this is for several reasons, but mostly to get familiar with the printer and to see if anything in the build guide is missing and if i can figure out the missing parts myself

So far the only missing bit is the IEC(mains) cover, its only there as an STL, no stp/step file for it
    and when importing the 123D files to fusion its not there either

I know its just eyecandy effect but a cad model of the PT100 Amp's would be a welcome add to the model along with a model for the 60mm fan

BUT the most important thing is the heated bed, i cant find that in the e3d shop, yes there are the new mains powered beds, and even thou i'm a trained electrician others might want to use my model and build a machine and use a 24V version

what are the options for a bed?

i have looked through the mods and i could not find a dual titan x-carriage mount so i have build what should be the hybrid version, i just assume that the differences are minimal and i can save the model under a new name

not completely done so its no rush for me

2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Well, you could probably try something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/MK2A-Heat-Bed-300x200-mm/dp/B01NBEX91J or maybe get a silicone heater made to your specifications by any number of places advertising on Aliexpress - and many of those have off the shelf parts that may suit you https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-heated-bed-300x200.html There are a few 300x200 beds either 12v or 24v available on ebay as well as Amazon and places like AliExpress etc - I can't honestly say how good any of them are.

For now I'm happy with the original part on my bigbox, which is as you say no longer available, but if I ever feel the need to replace it I'll probably go for one of the mains powered beds with a thermal cutout for safety - that's what I'm intending to do with the tool changing machine if/when I get the chance to build one.

3. Bo Herrmannsen

hehe, it might be that i do get a mains powered one, not afraid one mains, you just have to apply a thick coat of common sense and make sure to earth it

Aliexpress, hmm, i have been called a racist just because i dont like stuff from china, but my reasons are simply that people from china dont share the same understanding of what quality is

i have been told that there was a mod for having 2 titans on the x carraige, but have yet to find that mod, and then again how "bad" is the hybrid version?

and then do anyone have the mains cover as a step/stp file?

4. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Well, loads of stuff bought from elsewhere is made in China - quality varies, so good luck, and check the reviews :) Personally, I'd prefer stuff made locally where I can, but that's not always possible or feasible.

For dual direct, try this thread https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/titan-dual-direct-drive-design.1307/

I've never found or seen a step file for the mains cover - it may be possible to convert an stl to step. I've seen various posts online with instructions for Fusion 360, but haven't actually tried it. https://toglefritz.com/convert-a-simple-stl-into-a-body-in-fusion-360/

5. Bo Herrmannsen

the reason for going for step files are that they are far more easy to place and move arround, a hole is a nice ring with a cross in the middle when selected. Its not critical as it can just be moved in place manual, but since its the only one i think i and others can live with it

still thinkering on how to publish the work when complete.... and wondering if it is of any use to publish it

buying inside EU/UK does comes with extra cost, but you gain speed and its more easy to complain if things are not right. Quality is always up to debate, but should the part fail or not be up to spec its more easy to deal with

6. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Maybe put it on here and/or thingiverse? I think its worth publishing. I suspect some people with use it directly, while more will find something of interest in it even if they end up using only part of it, or use it as a starting point for their own ideas.

Absolutely! I do use Aliexpress, but generally only if I either can't find a closer supplier, or the price is just too ridiculously outrageous. Some extra cost is fair and reasonable, (it costs money to do business, and some profit is needed etc), but let's not be too ridiculous when its the same item from the same factory. There are a lot of good reasons to buy from UK/EU, but it has to be possible and not too infeasible.

7. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

If some or all of the build is done using the E3D WiKi instructions? then a list of web pages and/or section numbers within these web pages would work. It was possible to get rights to edit the original WiKi (now archived? but still available to view) maybe this is possible for the build that you (Bo) intends?

The original BigBox build was done by most of not all of us by following the original build WiKi, this worked very well, one difficulty was (is) with numerous variations and then modifications you end up jumping from the middle of one web page to another ......... and then back again. Section numbering helped a little here, as it did when a person reported a problem, they could refer to an individual step simply by a section number (step 14.2.4 on page xxx) rather then a wordy and possibly imprecise explanation.