Thrust bearing on toolhead

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by dynamite_dan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. dynamite_dan

dynamite_dan Member

Hi all

My first post so please be kind!

I have built my TC and the problem I have is that the thrust bearing is a tight fit on the toolchanger shaft. This means that when it picks up a tool, the bearing moves along the shaft and stays there - the spring isn't strong enough to push the bearing back to its "home" position. This, in turn, means that the tool is not held securely on the head and wobbles...

The amount of force required to fit the bearing is a gentle tap with a mallet and deep socket. Once fitted it's fine until it picks up the next tool!

Does it sound like a faulty part? Should I attempt to enlarge the hole in the centre?

Thanks

dan

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello,

That sounds odd. Can you provide some assembly photos and component photos please?

3. dynamite_dan

dynamite_dan Member

Hi

thanks for your reply. Do the attached pictures help?

Attached Files:

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm, looks like the bearing is bad. Can you drop a mail to support@e3d-online.com, mention this thread, and say you need a replacement bearing. They will sort one out for you.

5. dynamite_dan

dynamite_dan Member

Hi Greg.
    I've done that.

Thank you for your help!

Greg Holloway likes this.
  6. dynamite_dan

dynamite_dan Member

I've just tried enlarging the centre of the bearing. The 5mm drill bit took a while to get through. Some careful filing with a round diamond file has allowed the bearing to slip as required now, so the toolchanger is now able to pick up the tools. I've cancelled the support request but I may ask for the bearing to be included on my next order - I need a panelDUE!

Greg Holloway likes this.