Time to change to EDGE

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Bluemalu, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Now more than happy with my vanilla BigBox Dual 1.0 build, I've been playing with some old rolls of PLA to get id dialed in before moving to something new.

I've now got some of the E3D cleaning filament to give it a try, still not sure how I'm going to use it as I've seen various info on it's implementation.
    Once I've done that it's onto some nice red EDGE for a couple of repair parts for my printer.

For those that have taken the plunge and changed from PLA what hint's and tips would you recommend to make the transition as simple as possible?

I'm guessing the latest Simplify settings for EDGE (I'm assuming Alex is the most up to date(?))
    For the bed (I'm a big fan of blue tape for PLA but it's time to change)

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated before I start.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

In my profiles the material is added and the temperatures are set to the recommended values of E3D, all other settings are generic...

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I successfully print on PVA juice on a very clean bed, clean and apply each time, and use E3D's settings as Alex indicated.

Paul Winter likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I printed some on the Dual Titan Head not in Edge on the PEI alu plate, bed temp is 85, sticking is good, I just added cooling fan up to 50% because that is the recommendation of E3D... Though I think "print cooling" is something very dependent on the fan duct, the fan and the model...
    So "50%", 50% of what? There is no base what 50% relates to, that's what I hate about the manufacturers recommendations, if they tell "we used an UM2 stock fan duct, stock fans, this was our test model and there we had good resulst betwenn 30% and 60%, bridging was 80%" then this makes sense...

This reminds me of a colleague, his car showed him the next maintenance interval also in percentage... But what should you do with the statement "Next maintenance in 40%", 40% of what???

5. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

PLA sheet has turned up, mic6 plate due Monday so cleaning one of the heads with the eSun filament cleaner. Cut into 250mm sections to feed through. Initial piece pushed in at 250 degrees (210 was a touch low as the filament bends in the free space areas of the bowden clip and top of extruder. Extrudes clear and cools to opaque. 1st section just cooling before warming up and retracting.

Post pulling. I must say I'm impressed, having purged the head till the filament ran clear, allowed it cool and pulled out the cleaning filament whilst warming up from room temp, a band of the old filament was removed 18mm up from the extruder.

Attached Files: