Timelapses?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by James Peel, Jan 7, 2017.

1. James Peel

James Peel Well-Known Member

Just a quick question regarding whether the octoprint camera can be used to do timelapses or even just shoot video? - I have been selotaping my phone to the side of my big box (not very professional)

Thanks

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Yes. There are a couple old threads on it and several of the currently active members can help (I never used it). Do pay attention to the warnings that saving too many long timelapses you can run the Pi out of disc space which can be a nuisance to recover from.

3. James Peel

James Peel Well-Known Member

Right okay maybe the selotaped phone might not be so bad afterall

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I purchased a cheap 128gb thumb drive and mounted it as a extra drive for the pi. And it is easy to set octopi to save both scratch and finished prints there. This a) gives a huge capacity boost and b) since it is not the root file system it could safely fill up with no consequences other than missing a time lapse.

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

My Pi uses a networked share for storage so there's pretty close to zero chance if it ever running out of space. The network share can easily be increased or cleared down. I store gcode on the same drive and print directly from that. Setting up timelapse is really just a couple of tickboxes from OctoPrint and specify the temp location, for the individual images, and the final location for the actual timelapses.