Tips for Ninjaflex

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Dr Jeep, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Driving me nuts this. First attempt at a flexible filament and just can't get extrusion right :)

I am running at 210 extruder on a 45C bed (no bed adhesion problems with print bite) and am getting extreme (like 50% at least) under extrusion. (this is on the original stock printed extruder not a titan)

Slowed print speeds down to 1800mm/min, but even on a half speed first layer it's still causing problems.

Tried calibrating e steps but I think it's jumping as even with E steps 50% more it's no better really and I am pretty sure it is jumping on the hobbed shaft even during calibration. (of course it's hard to tell as you can't hear it like you can with hard filaments).

So then I tried fiddling with the extrusion multiplier, even with it wound up to 1.5 it still seems no better so I am sure I am skipping on the extruder.

Then finally it jumped out from between the motor shaft and the bearing (so in front of them)

The purge script runs the extruder pretty fast, should I slow that down ? What about Extruder tension it's wound as high as it can go for Edge/PLA but is that too high for flexi, or two low ?

This isn't a retract heavy print but should I even be running with retraction on a flexi ? Does anyone have a magic profile they can share so I can use that as a baseline for my BB ?

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I presume you aren't doing dual prints, so you can probably remove the purge script.

I had retractions on (albeit a small amount - 1mm) but its recommended to turn them off. I printed using a slightly higher temp (220, 225) and with extrusion multiplier and e-steps fairly normal (configured when I was using PLA).

The best thing, and to stop it poking out between hobbed bolt and the tube to the hot end was printing at 20mm/s (set in S3D).

Maybe loosen off on tension a bit too.

3. Dr Jeep

Ok thanks. I've given both me and the printer a cooling off period :) but I'll try your tips tomorrow.

4. Dr Jeep

Thanks for that, I have it pretty much nailed now. Combination of things.

Following those suggestions and going to 225C and slackening the extruder helped a lot, and at least got me extruding the right amount during calibration. Then the final nail in the coffin of fail was that I've recently moved to Alex's S3D profiles and he has a reverse end of print retraction step in the start gcode that does an extrude at a feedrate of 200.

This appears to be too fast for a flexi filament and it was that which seems to be causing the filament to jump out of the extruder.

PsyVision likes this.
  5. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

I was printing night before last with Ninjaflex, I've got a plain stock Pro, not even upgraded firmware (I know I know) and I was using the standard S3D settings for PLA but speed dropped down to 25mm/s and the temps changed to 225 and 60 on the bed with a thin smear of Pritt-Stick.
    Only problem I had was with my design (still learning not to overdo bridging and overhangs) but otherwise was printing lovely.
    I've found that my room temperature/humidity has more of an affect than my profile.

Hope tonight's test runs go a bit better for you.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am working on an update where I have material specific scripts.
    I also found hat I am able to make the profiles in a way that the quality and extruders settings for auto configuration are dependant on the selected material...
    Will note it down, I think I had the same problem with NinjaFlex and the end of print script, changed it but had no option yet to included it because the scripts were for all mats at that point...

7. Dr Jeep

I'm having a play at optimising them, if I get anything worth sharing I'll do a branch for you to look at :)

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Dr Jeep of the profile builder, right? :D

9. Dr Jeep

Well I'll work on the profile direct first, if I create anything useful then yup I'll try and run it into the profile builder :)

10. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Doing my first print with NinjaFlex now. The big issue for me was the "
    G1 E15 F200 ; reverse end of print retraction" in the Starting Script so for now i have simply cloned the profile, rem'd out that line (
    ;G1 E15 F200 ; reverse end of print retraction)
    and dropped the sped to 1800mm/min. So far so good. First up, a bumper for appletv remote that smashed when i looked at it funny. Who makes a remote out of non-hardened glass??? (Rhetorical question). Thanks for starting this thread! Until i found this i just had rubber material looping out the side of my extruder!