Titan Aero Clicking on Extrude

Discussion in 'Titan' started by JoyMonkey, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

I have an Aero on my printer, and gotten probably 40 hours of print time from it with great results. Last night at about 5 layers into a print, the extruder started clicking and nothing but an inconsistent skinny string of filament was coming out.

I've taken the Aero apart and put it together again a few times now, each time the extruder appears to work fine from a cold start for a minute or so, then the clicking inevitably starts. The click only seems to happen on extrudes, not retracts.

Here's a brief video :

Here are some things I've tried so far...
    - I checked for a clog, filament can be manually pushed through the hotend without a problem.
    - I increased voltage on the stepper driver, but no change in behavior
    - Checked that pinion and black gear are flush
    - Checked that filament guide is more or less hitting the center of the hobbed gear (it's not 100% center, but hasn't been a problem until now, see photo)
    - I replaced the extruders stepper motor (a pancake stepper, this one) with the stock stepper. No change.
    - I replaced the stock stepper driver (an A4988) with a DRV8825. Still clicks.

I'm about at my wits end. Are there any other things I should try before binning this extruder?

Attached Files:

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

When you say you can push it through manually, do you mean by using the exposed cog or just by pushing against the spring and pushing straight down? Does this happen immediately from the start of the print or shortly after? What is your retraction amount set to? Is you heatsink fan permanently on full power?

3. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Yes, if I push the spring I can manually feed filament into the hotend and it runs through just fine. I try extruding 5mm from Octoprint after this, and the extruder just clicks.

From a cold start, the extruder will work properly for 1-2 minutes, then this problem surfaces. Restarting the print or extruding an amount from Octoprint will just result in clicking.
    Initially I thought this must have been hotend related because of this, but all troubleshooting steps thus far point to no.

Yes, my heatsink fan is on full power all the time.

4. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Could it be because my filament isn't hitting the hobbed gear exactly in the middle?
    Is there a way to adjust the hobbed gear so its barbs will be aligned better with the filament?

Attached Files:

5. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

I think I may have cracked it. I disassembled everything again, put the hobbed/acetal gear in a vice and gave the hobbed gear some gentle persuasion with a hammer, moving it a hair further into the acetal. Put it back together and checked alignment; the filament seems to be more centered on the hob.
    I'm about 10 layers into a print now, and all seems to be going well (fingers crossed).

I wonder if over time the acetal gear could have slid down on the steel hobbed gear, causing this mis-alignment?

Attached Files:

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Well it looks nicely aligned now. I believe there's another thread on the forum where people received a hobbed bolt that was not aligned in the aero. I don't think it needs to be dead center, but center is best, where you have it now. I don't think it slipped though, I think it was just delivered to you misaligned, potentially something to do with a move in the E3D workshop IIRC. If you have continuing issues, you can get in touch with them directly and they will help sort you out. Hope it works out now you have it aligned. You weren't that far off initially though.

Do check you can feed filament with the wheel, rotating it with your thumb. If there's a block, you'll have trouble doing that. It's not uncommon for people to have high retract settings that they used pre-E3D, so do make sure your retract is less than 2.5mm. 0.8mm would be a good starting point.

7. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Thanks Spoon! It's possible that I had the screw through the hobbed gear a little too tight too, forcing the stepper to have to work harder than necessary. I can feed the filament by manually turning the acetal gear now, so I think all is well.

I'm also really happy with the PETG settings that I dialed in through this process. During troubleshooting I swapped out my extruder's driver for a DRV8825, so that may also be contributing to the smoother extrudes I'm seeing, whatever I did it's going well now so I'm not touching anything!

For anyone else experimenting with settings for PETG and their Titan, in Simplify3D I've got...
    Nozzle Diameter : 0.40mm
    Extrusion Multiplier : 0.84
    Extrusion Width : 0.42mm
    Retraction Distance : 1.75mm
    Retraction Speed : 20mm/s
    Coast At End : No
    Wipe Distance : 2.5mm
    Filament Diameter : 1.72mm
    I'm using eSun PETG filament, printing at 235 degrees, no cooling fan.

Christopher Horne likes this.
  8. Gene Dahilig

Gene Dahilig Member

JoyMonkey,

And, I've been dealing with clicking/missed steps as well. How has your extruder been since you aligned your hobbed gear last September?

It looks like my hobbed gear isn't lined up either! (link: https://i.imgur.com/BYudkuc.jpg)

#8 Gene Dahilig, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@JoyMonkey : Did you check for backlash during he assembly of the extruder ? There is a part in the manual that covers this. This is often the source of the clicking sound.

jenschr likes this.
  10. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Everything's been printing perfectly, but I still have the clicking sound.
    It seems the problem stemmed from me having that screw far too tight. After loosening it, things started printing fine, but after a while the 9mm bearing (this one) literally fell apart; apparently it took more damage than I thought while I was printing with the screw too tightly fastened. After a long print I found metal shards embedded in the print. It took some head scratching, but eventually I realized it was parts of that 9mm bearing. I meant to replace it, but haven't found the time and since it's been printing fine (by some miracle) it hasn't been high on my priority list. Yet!

11. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

I finally got tired of the clicking and picked up a replacement 9mm bearing. Unfortunately, when I dis-assembled everything things were much worse than I expected. Part of the old disintegrated bearing is jammed inside its recess in the Aero heatsink, and refuses to come out; it's seriously stuck in there. The other bearing remains are stuck to the hobbed gear. Everything else has turned to dust.

I didn't want to put it back together without anything in place of the 9mm bearing, as it would cause too much play on the hobbed gear. I looked through my bin of nylon spacers and found one that had an outer diameter that would fit inside the bearing remnant, and its inner diameter fit the hobbed gear well (luckily). I cut off a short length and pressed it in. Seems to work fine for now. Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

12. Quinn

Quinn Member

Just wondering about using a brass bushing instead of the small bearings? The design of these bearings aren't really made to handle much force applied to them. I'm on my 4th set of bushings being replaced in the outer aluminum housing. Not sure if its alignment issues or if its a heat creep issue or an overall bad design flaw. Don't get me wrong I love the E3d products, just feeling really let down with this one.

Temp setting is 241-243 (ABS)
    steps per unit is 837
    Max feedrate is 25
    cooling fan is @100% when heat is applied

I have found some self lubricating 5mm x 9mm x 6mm and 8mm length brass bushings for about the same price as a couple more bearings. I'm just about done with this damn thing. I've had good luck with my titan extruder and V6 nozzle on one of my other units. Might be converting over to that, hate doing it for the amount of money and time I have in this setup.

Would be interested if anyone thinks the bushing would work or not.

13. Trevor Lynch 10

Trevor Lynch 10 New Member

I have tried everything posted om the forum but it just starts clicking on the benchy and can't get it to print

14. Martijn van Bommel

Martijn van Bommel New Member

I have the same problem.
    I could rotate the gear backwards with no problems but just a bit forword.
    After reassembling the extruder a few times I found out that the bearing in the aluminium block is jammed. Luckily not completely broken into pieces.
    Now I'm watching for some new bearings to arrive. Hopefully this while solve the problem.

15. jenschr

jenschr Member

I had the same problem, but Rob's reply saved me. Some of the screws holding my Titan Aero had come loose over time, so it was indeed slipping since there was no torque. Thanks Rob!

16. paul Strollo

paul Strollo New Member

ad me to the list, my titan aero came with a .9 motor so i was thinking it was a torque issue at 1st. after clearing several odd jams, i can see the bearing holding the gear have failed. anyone got a part # or specs? I luv my v6 and volcano but this setup is very disappointing to me.works great for a little while then fails. keeps going out of alignment during printing. sometimes a few layers sometimes a few whole print jobs.something has to be off as i have to leave the screws pretty lose for ti to work right at all. anyone got any work around for this yet?

17. Mark Prince

Mark Prince New Member

Me too - my new extruder has been running for less than two days. I didn't over-tighten the bolt either, just hand tight, enough that the spring washer started to bite.