Titan Aero Clicking on Extrude

Discussion in 'Titan' started by JoyMonkey, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

I have an Aero on my printer, and gotten probably 40 hours of print time from it with great results. Last night at about 5 layers into a print, the extruder started clicking and nothing but an inconsistent skinny string of filament was coming out.

I've taken the Aero apart and put it together again a few times now, each time the extruder appears to work fine from a cold start for a minute or so, then the clicking inevitably starts. The click only seems to happen on extrudes, not retracts.

Here's a brief video :

Here are some things I've tried so far...
    - I checked for a clog, filament can be manually pushed through the hotend without a problem.
    - I increased voltage on the stepper driver, but no change in behavior
    - Checked that pinion and black gear are flush
    - Checked that filament guide is more or less hitting the center of the hobbed gear (it's not 100% center, but hasn't been a problem until now, see photo)
    - I replaced the extruders stepper motor (a pancake stepper, this one) with the stock stepper. No change.
    - I replaced the stock stepper driver (an A4988) with a DRV8825. Still clicks.

I'm about at my wits end. Are there any other things I should try before binning this extruder?

Attached Files:

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

When you say you can push it through manually, do you mean by using the exposed cog or just by pushing against the spring and pushing straight down? Does this happen immediately from the start of the print or shortly after? What is your retraction amount set to? Is you heatsink fan permanently on full power?

3. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Yes, if I push the spring I can manually feed filament into the hotend and it runs through just fine. I try extruding 5mm from Octoprint after this, and the extruder just clicks.

From a cold start, the extruder will work properly for 1-2 minutes, then this problem surfaces. Restarting the print or extruding an amount from Octoprint will just result in clicking.
    Initially I thought this must have been hotend related because of this, but all troubleshooting steps thus far point to no.

Yes, my heatsink fan is on full power all the time.

4. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Could it be because my filament isn't hitting the hobbed gear exactly in the middle?
    Is there a way to adjust the hobbed gear so its barbs will be aligned better with the filament?

Attached Files:

5. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

I think I may have cracked it. I disassembled everything again, put the hobbed/acetal gear in a vice and gave the hobbed gear some gentle persuasion with a hammer, moving it a hair further into the acetal. Put it back together and checked alignment; the filament seems to be more centered on the hob.
    I'm about 10 layers into a print now, and all seems to be going well (fingers crossed).

I wonder if over time the acetal gear could have slid down on the steel hobbed gear, causing this mis-alignment?

Attached Files:

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Well it looks nicely aligned now. I believe there's another thread on the forum where people received a hobbed bolt that was not aligned in the aero. I don't think it needs to be dead center, but center is best, where you have it now. I don't think it slipped though, I think it was just delivered to you misaligned, potentially something to do with a move in the E3D workshop IIRC. If you have continuing issues, you can get in touch with them directly and they will help sort you out. Hope it works out now you have it aligned. You weren't that far off initially though.

Do check you can feed filament with the wheel, rotating it with your thumb. If there's a block, you'll have trouble doing that. It's not uncommon for people to have high retract settings that they used pre-E3D, so do make sure your retract is less than 2.5mm. 0.8mm would be a good starting point.

7. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Thanks Spoon! It's possible that I had the screw through the hobbed gear a little too tight too, forcing the stepper to have to work harder than necessary. I can feed the filament by manually turning the acetal gear now, so I think all is well.

I'm also really happy with the PETG settings that I dialed in through this process. During troubleshooting I swapped out my extruder's driver for a DRV8825, so that may also be contributing to the smoother extrudes I'm seeing, whatever I did it's going well now so I'm not touching anything!

For anyone else experimenting with settings for PETG and their Titan, in Simplify3D I've got...
    Nozzle Diameter : 0.40mm
    Extrusion Multiplier : 0.84
    Extrusion Width : 0.42mm
    Retraction Distance : 1.75mm
    Retraction Speed : 20mm/s
    Coast At End : No
    Wipe Distance : 2.5mm
    Filament Diameter : 1.72mm
    I'm using eSun PETG filament, printing at 235 degrees, no cooling fan.

8. Gene Dahilig

Gene Dahilig Member

JoyMonkey,

And, I've been dealing with clicking/missed steps as well. How has your extruder been since you aligned your hobbed gear last September?

It looks like my hobbed gear isn't lined up either! (link: https://i.imgur.com/BYudkuc.jpg)

#8 Gene Dahilig, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@JoyMonkey : Did you check for backlash during he assembly of the extruder ? There is a part in the manual that covers this. This is often the source of the clicking sound.

10. JoyMonkey

JoyMonkey Member

Everything's been printing perfectly, but I still have the clicking sound.
    It seems the problem stemmed from me having that screw far too tight. After loosening it, things started printing fine, but after a while the 9mm bearing (this one) literally fell apart; apparently it took more damage than I thought while I was printing with the screw too tightly fastened. After a long print I found metal shards embedded in the print. It took some head scratching, but eventually I realized it was parts of that 9mm bearing. I meant to replace it, but haven't found the time and since it's been printing fine (by some miracle) it hasn't been high on my priority list. Yet!