Titan Aero On Bigbox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by KNM3D, Mar 24, 2017.

1. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

I have a Bigbox dual that I only use the left extruder.
    is there a mount for me to use the Titan Aero with a Volcano?

a single head mount would be great because then I could just bundle the second hotend wires up and let them be.

anyone have a direction or a file(s) I can download to make this happen.

and then with the Titan Aero are there settings that have to be different in the S3D or my Board code that need to be changed?

thank you for the help.

**side note is it recommended to use a parts cooling fan with a volcano? when I use mine I get thermal runaway, no I do not have a sock around the heater block.

Ryan M.

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I think there's nothing for Titan areo for Big box yet.
    The simplest way would be the IDEX design. But for dual 1.0 and hybrid dual Titan you have to design a new x-cariage thing if it is even possible with the tight space of the belt.

3. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

isn't the IDEX design a Bowden?
    I don't like Bowden for my flexi filaments.

EDIT
    I obviously don't know what im talking about. lol

would E3D possibly design a carriage for this for a single head Titan Aero for the BigBox?
    that would be awesome, and helpful. then I could just pop the old stuff off then hook an aero up to my dual bigbox making it a single and I could coil the second extruder wires up and forget about them.

until the day I can unplug them from the board as long as that doesn't throw and error for the board since its apparently a dual extruder board, or whatever.

#3 KNM3D, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I'm sold on the Titan Aero - I'd love to install this on my single extruder Hybrid setup. Looks like a completely redesigned carriage would be needed, but I'm hoping @Greg Holloway with his ingenuity can come up with something for us ;), I see he already has the mk2 i3 mount on thingiverse for Aero.

#4 moshen, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

yeah I saw that too.
    it would be awesome. im totally up for it. If he comes up with something I would be very happy.

the thing with the mk2 I want to use a volcano, but the aero parts don't seem to allow for the prusa bed leveler probe to have enough extension.

6. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Actually that's how I run my Dual:) only installed 1 v6 with titan on the hybrid carriage and have the e2 electrionics hanging to one side of the frame.
    Still using dual firmware and I'm too lazy to install a single extruder fw and remove the e2 cabling :D

Anyway with the direct idex it looks like you can simply install the Areo. of cause the fan needs some redesign since it is to low.
    And maybe the heated bed maybe to low too (aka cannot move high enough).
    So a single direct IDEX would be like just install 1 x carriage.

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Same here, my dual is used as single and I am too lazu to redesign it to get rid of the handing wires from the unused bowden head.

8. EASI3D

EASI3D Active Member

Ok got my Aero today, any ideas on how I get this on my BigBox's??

9. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I think at a minimum you'll need to design and print an x-axis carriage to take it. It could be complicated as the lower height will mean you'll have to mount it below the rods somehow while keeping the nozzle near to the bed surface.

I've not looked into it myself yet but I like the Aero idea.

10. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

That's what makes the idex modification of stacking the x rods so appealing, makes it potentially much easier.

11. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

I would replace the 2 8mm rods with a nice linear rail...

12. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be too hard to raise the bed a little to meet an aero mounted to the original rail system. Richrap has his bed raised in one of his vids.

13. Liam Woinson

Liam Woinson Member

Surely you would just re-design the carriage? (I'm going to design one up and test it) Then just jack the bed up with the screws?