Titan Aero & printer resetting

Discussion in 'Titan' started by darrenbarker, Apr 19, 2018.

1. darrenbarker

darrenbarker Member

Got my titan aero extruder on and all works as it should. The extruder gear was turning the wrong way so I went into Marlin config and altered
    #define INVERT_E0_DIR false to 'true' Now it turns the proper direction.

I get the extruder to temp and it can extrude no problem (Move/Extruder/) but when I go to start a print, it gives me a 'filament out' error. The filament is run through a Hictop sensor.
    I put the filament in (even though it was never out) and hit 'resume print' and it extrudes a priming length and then asks me to extrude more or resume print. I resume print and immediately the printer resets.

I tried going around the filament sensor by just leaving a piece in it. I moved the filament sensor cable as far away and separate as possible to eliminate interference. Still happens.

Now, I'm sure there is a way to disable the filament sensor in Marlin but what I'm concerned about is this reset each time.

Everything else and all motion seems to work so I think my board is fine but the 'invert' for the extruder was the only change i made in the code.
    Why does it keep resetting? I'm pretty good at trouble shooting and google but I don't where to look for this problem. Attached config file if anyone can see an error but I'm at my wits end.
    I have switched the limit switch in the filment monitor, that didn't fix it. I switched the whole power supply and that didn't fix it. As I didn't have a problem prior with this reset, could the Aero be causing some sort of EMI?

Thanks for any tips.

Attached Files:

2. Nik

Nik Member

Sounds like a firmware issue related to the sensor and inverting the extruder direction. Why don't you just flip the motor's wiring and return the settings to the way they were before?

3. darrenbarker

darrenbarker Member

That's a thought eh? Before I tried altering that line of firmware, I did in fact try just flipping the motor connection. However, at the board and at the motor, they're attached with clips that only fit one way. I'm sure I could actually remove the clips and snip and solder but....eek
    I guess I could just put it back (the firmware) to the way it was and see if it still gives me that reset because then I'll know if it's firmware or possible emi from the titan?

4. Nik

Nik Member

No need to snip or solder anything, on both ends of the motor cable you just need to pull up the little plastic tongue on the connector with a needle or razorblade and the wire will pull out freely. After that you just click it back in the hole you want.

5. darrenbarker

darrenbarker Member

Aweseome, thank you. I'll give it a shot . I don't want to give up on this. It was 180$ CDN and I don't want to go back to stock for something simple I'm missing. Thank you. I'll let you know.

6. darrenbarker

darrenbarker Member

Last night:
    1-Tried my tweaked Marlin firmware with the stepper inverted via code and still get the filament error and then a printer reset once it thinks filament is reloaded.

2-Went back to the firmware used for the last year with no issues and didn't adjust a single thing (left extruder motor turning the wrong way---so no code altered). Still get filament error and then a printer reset once it thinks it's reloaded.

3-I have two options left as I see it.

a-I use previously suggested aluminum tape to wrap LCD cables and filament sensor cable. As I'm getting the same error regardless of firmware, I am leaning towards the actual Titan Aero causing some sort of interference? Tried, tested and true firmward with nothing changed produces the same result, then I have to look at the only thing that was added, which is the Aero. So I guess I could wrap the bundle of wires coming off of it with tape and try again. (not a lot of hope for this option but...)

b-I am only a year into this whole thing and I don't know a lot about Marlin and the board etc. The filament sensor, where it plugs into the board, is it possible in Marlin to switch the port it's currently plugged into, to a different unused port? I am wondering if the port is hooped. If so, which port would I use and which code in the config file would I change? An image of the sensor and port attached.

4-Barring all else fails, I put the stock extruder on and see if the error and the reset goes away. If it does, that leaves me knowing it's something to do with the titan aero . If it doesn't that tells me that at least that port on the board is fried and will have to buy another board.

Any help anyone can provide would be great because I can find nothing on the net about a filament runout error repeating and repeating and then resetting the printer.

Thank you

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      419.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Nik

Nik Member

You can use different pins for the sensor if you have any free ones on your board. You have to know which numbers they are by checking the board's schematics and then editing pins.h in Marlin's folder for your particular board. Or in the newer versions of Marlin, it's pins_xyz.h where xyz is your board.

By the way, the filament sensor appears to be a simple microswitch like the endstops, have you checked if it's working like it's supposed to? There might be some confusion as to whether it's Normally Open or Normally Closed, or perhaps it's shorting something to ground, causing a printer reset?

8. darrenbarker

darrenbarker Member

To confirm the filament was changed, you push the endoder button on the lcd. It then extrudes and gives you an option to extrude more or continue print .
    I had tried switching end stops out but that did not fix it, nor did aluminum tape on the cable as suggested above. I ended up starting with a fresh copy of Marlin and turning off the filament monitor.in the firmware. Possbily the firmware, possibly the port. I'd sure like to plug the filament detector into another port, but Ill have to learn how do change that.