Titan Aero problems

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Mart, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Mart

Mart Member

Hi,

I have just upgraded from an E3D V6 Bowden setup to a Titan Aero on my prusa i3 clone and I set the extruder steps up using 418.5 and that extrudes a 100mm of filament, I use this motor
    Nema 17 Bipolar Step Motor 2.9V 0.7A 18Ncm 17HS10-0704S, my prints look as if I am over extruding but as I said the extruder steps seem spot on, I'm using PLA @200 straight onto a 50 degree glass bed but trying to print the little Benchy ship It looks horrible after a few layers and if I leave it much longer it gets dragged off the bed which has never been a problem before, is there any other obvious settings i'm missing, I slice with Cura and use matter Control to print with.

2. Mart

Mart Member

I have noticed that when I'm printing tight to the bed the hobbed wheel is stripping the filament and clogging up the hobbed wheel, I've spent the whole weekend trying to get a decent print out of this and i've failed, I have been printing at home for about six months and have built four printers in that time and have learnt a lot but i'm really dissapointed with the aero, I bought one for me and one for a friend, we assembled them ok but my friend has not fitted his one, we would like to return them.

3. Mart

Mart Member

[​IMG]

It's not the best picture but it just clagged up and the filament (Colour Fab PLA/PHA) would not feed at all, we loosened the idler screw and tightened it but it made no difference,We have tried several different filaments with the same results and like I said in the previous post we want to return them, I have wasted the whole weekend trying to get the aero to print but I have reached my limit and am going to put my old V6 hot end Bowden system back on.

#3 Mart, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Hello Mart,

I am sorry that this has proven such a disappointment, we found that the Aero was an upgrade in most cases but this doesn't seem to be the case in your situation. My opinion would be to increase the temperature and check your bed levelling as this can cause the extruder to slip on the first layer. You might also want to check that your temperature is stable as you might need to modify your PID values slightly after upgrading to the Titan Aero (depending on wether or not you bought the full kit or just the upgrade parts).
    If you contact our support team on support@e3d-online.com they will see what they can do regarding the returns. Bear in mind that they are extremely busy at the moment and might take a few days to come back to you.

Once again, I can olny apologise that this is not working for you, and hope that this hasn't put you off E3D products.

5. Mart

Mart Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Lawson is sorting out things for me, as for me being put off E3D no way, sometimes problems crop up with new tech but all in all I think E3D is an Awesome company, keep up the good work fella's ;)

6. 3dFilaInvasion

I was using a full-metal hot end with different components, thermistor, heater etc. What I found out (btw I have only my first diy printer) is that temperatures differ between 3-5 degrees. On Titan aero i have upped them for all the filaments I use. I have of course set PIDs and e-steps accordingly as i use 1/32 stepper driver for the extruder.

The only similar problem i've had was mainly on flexible filaments which I solved it by using a cooling fan. First dozen layers were coming out just fine. But next layers seemed like the nozzle was getting much closer to the print causing me issues to the point extruder couldn't push any more filament and get clogged. Even going hot filament shrinkage due to fan cooling solve my issue. Well for at least for 150 layers of .2 height with the stock .4 nozzle.

Also I didn't have any filament being stripped off after untightening the tension a few clicks. Hope that helps.