Titan Bowden

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Spoon Unit, May 23, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Complete misery with my bowden-fed Titan on the BB 1.0. Initially I just could not get the filament to enter the hot end, it was getting stuck at the heatbreak from what I could calculate it. I happened to have a spare heatbreak, so I fitted that. Eventually I managed to get the filament fed all the way to the hot end.

It was quite clear that as it got to the point of the heatbreak, there begins a horrible ratcheting sort of vibration. This only thing I can put that down to is the teeth mark on the filament from the Titan, but that's really no different from the direct.

So anyway, I got one print off. Left it. Returned to it this morning, heated the hot end, and COULD NOT remove the filament. Won't push, won't pull.

Any ideas?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Errr no...

Yeah thats because the Titan is directly mount to the nice big back plane, its like a speaker... You hear every little thing much more intense...

Think you have to disassemble to see where it got stuck...

3. Spoon Unit

No, I didn't mean that sounds, which is more like a short buzz which I only really hear on retraction. No, this is something that begins only once the filament hits the heatbreak.

So your bowden-fed hotend operates fully and you're completely happy with it?

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did some Scaffold prints with it so far. Works as intended...

5. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Maybe make sure that your stepper driver is delivering the correct current and that everything is aligned with the gears?

Been using my titan as a bowden, the main issue I'm having is to do with the ptfe tube popping out of the top. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that every firmware I try has issues with remembering the z-height adjustments after a successful print - meaning it raises the bed higher than it should which creates a higher pressure within the ptfe tube - leading to the ptfe tube popping out. Other than that however I'm quite happy with my titan other than the known issue of 3mm filament (not yet tested myself). I did notice some minor grinding around the d-shaft - something I'll be watching carefully.

It sounds as if you have a jam in the hotend - I agree with Alex9779 disassemble your hotend setup.

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW I ordered a third Titan and equipped my Um2 with it replacing my self printed extruded.
    I am quite happy with the results, extrusion is better, except that switching filament is now a pain... Waiting for the updated lever...

mike01hu likes this.
  7. Spoon Unit

Thing is, I've disassembled it twice. When I re-assemble it (again) I'm expecting that if I do the same things, I'll get the same result. It doesn't feel like this should be complicated.

Pull PTFE tube through carriage
    Push into top of v6 assembly
    Pull out collet
    Push into carriage
    Tighten grubs

Am I missing a crucial step here?

I did tighten the nozzle already at 220 and it's firm, there's definitely no leakage. Everything is set up as per the other working hot end.
    Regarding the titan itself, I'm fairly sure that it's setup OK. I have printed ten small filament clips with it. Also, regarding getting the filament in and out pre-print, this is all by hand, so the electronics of the setup shouldn't be a factor.

I am baffled.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Strange... Actually I was not fitting the tube with the hotend in hands like you did. I inserted it through the carriage accepting the little play it then has because the collet does not fix it when it is pressed down and had no issues...

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you try feeding filament by hand without a nozzle mounted the see if there is something wrong with your heat break?

10. Spoon Unit

I had hoped that by using both the original and then a second brand new heatbreak that the chances of the heatbreak itself being the issue had been removed.