Titan Chimera Build Huge issues

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Rubikscuber202, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Rubikscuber202

So i am Building my second 3d Printer, using the Titan extruder and chimera Hotends currently i am just trying to get one Head working right. Did a first simpl print and everything went ok using MatterSlice(I hate it but i am used to it for example ID's are always off), slight underextrusion. Then tried printing the trusty old boat, using Cura, everything looked great leveling worked.
    Where i am now:
    - played around with acceleration, speed etc, no change
    - huge underextrusion infill doesnt get printed at all
    - titan is skipping steps, even getting turned backwards

if i try extruding 5mm at 10mm/s it is a game of luck if it works.
    but faster is not possible. I have got the new Small steppermotor with the 0.9° stepsize maybe an issue with that. Is the nozzle to small i read in another thread that someone had issues with wrong drilled nozzles.
    Thanks in advance, i know everything is vague, just ask what infos would help then ill supply them or pictures.

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Have you checked your steps/mm? If using a 0.9°/step motor as a replacement for a 1.8°/step motor, you either need to double your steps/mm (with Titan it would become 837 steps/mm), or double your extrusion multiplier in your slicer if you don't want to change the firmware (flowrate 200%).

We would also recommend increasing the temperature until you get a good flow, with an all metal hotend you might have to print PLA at 220°C for example.

We need a bit more info before offering any more advice? What materials and temperatures are you using? Are you using a part cooling fan? Are you using a silicon sock? How much retraction are you using? Is your spool rotating freely?

Any photos of failed prints/current setup would also be useful in identifying the cause of the issue.

3. Rubikscuber202

Thanks for the speedy answer. Yes i did check steps per millimeter it works perfectly, did a test extrusion with 10 cm of filament.on
    I will try increasing the temperature when i get home.
    Currently using pretty generic cheap PLA but had good results on my other printer using an v6 hotend also at 200° C
    No sock doesn't fit between both hotends.
    Retraction of 3mm at 35mm/s
    Spool is Rotating as free as possible.
    I should mention, i tried to help the extruder by forcing the Cog a bit, but didnt sense any improvement.
    Ill make a few pictures when i get home

4. Rubikscuber202

This is the Cura Output. 20170626_154123.jpg
    This is matterslice
    20170626_154134.jpg
    And the head+titan 20170626_154452.jpg
    20170626_154437.jpg

5. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Check the filament diameter in Cura. You are using 1.75mm and Cura usually defaults to 3mm, hence the under-extrusion.
    I'd also bump up the temp to 210-220°C, and reduce the retraction to 2mm to prevent jams.

6. Rubikscuber202

yeah checked that extrusion works far better at 220, but now my Duet stopped working. so i cant Test anything currently now writing in their forum to get that fixed.
    Than i will give you an update.
    Also in Cura i changed the Temperature of the filament to 220 put in the gcode it always puts 200 even if i tell it to do 260, so had to change it manually in the gcode file

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You can't extrude much faster than 5mm/sec with v6, it is too high of a melt flow rate. 10mm/sec is 24mm^3/sec is which too high of a flowrate the v6 to keep up with.

Note that print speeds and extruder feed speeds are two different things. A print at 100mm/sec might only have an extruder feed of 5mm/sec.

I print PLA around 220-230C.

8. Rubikscuber202

yeah i figured that. and as stated it looks fine now(sounds better to) . But now the Duets just stopped completly, now trying to get it back to factory settings and doing it from scratch but there isnt a lot of activity in the duet forum i feel. Thanks, gonna take a few pictures when i get to finish anything at all. Anyone here with Duet experience(I know its and E3d Forum)