Titan + e3d v6 + slimline motor = underextrusion

Discussion in 'Titan' started by mokush, Apr 19, 2018.

  1. mokush

    mokush Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello!
    I need your help, please...
    I have changed my cheap Chinese clone Titan setup to original on my printer (corexy, direct drive).
    Unfortunately the chinese setup worked better than the genuie.
    I have first layer mostly OK, but after this, when the speed increases I have serious underextrusion - no extrusion at all after some time (no overheating at motor, still stays cool).
    I have:
    Titan extruder, v6 hotend, slimline motor (0,89°), LV8729 (16 microsteps, vref = 0,6V, what makes 1,2A), extruder motor steps = 837

    The problem:
    I have to set the filament tensioner to almost 0, otherwise the motor cannot turn the gear. But with this low tension, after a while the hobbed gear cannot push the filament, just grinds the surface of that.
    I checked more times the assembly - looks OK. The hotend also looks OK - clear inside. Nozzle OK, no clog.
    I can push the filament through the hotend manually or by turning the gear by hand?

    What is the max. current for the slimline motor, as it seems it cannot produce enough torque to move the filament?
     
  2. Nik

    Nik Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2017
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    You are correct that there might be insufficient current, have you tried using the motor from the chinese clone? The slimline motor isn't very strong and being 0.9 degree steps gives it even less torque for its size. One more thing - have you done a PID-autotune on the hotend? If you're still using the old thermistor settings your temperature might be too low for the filament to extrude normally.
     
  3. mokush

    mokush Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello!
    I cannot try the Chinese motor as that one has died (killed by a "stepstick protector" / "smoother" whatever...). That one was 1,8°.I tried to investigate the specs of that motor, but I cannot find any info. Even the "helpdesk" of the manufacturer was not able to give exact data.
    I've done PID tuning, temp seems to be OK.
    I wanted to use the Slimline motor, but it seems, I cannot. Ordered an other motor, but still not arrived.
    Regarding the slimline: I was informed earlier that the max current is 800mA and now I see in the e3d webshop 1,4A.
    So what is the max I may set? May I set the driver to give the stepper more than 1,4A (now 1,2A and the motor is not even warm).

    May I give a try to this one?
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/h...4-wires-17hs10-0704s.html?search=17HS10-0704S
     
  4. Nik

    Nik Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2017
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    It should be 1.4A. Also setting the Vref isn't an exact science, you just go with whatever works. I think mine is set to around 0.8V. One more thing i thought of - have you tweaked the max acceleration settings for the motor in marlin? It may be trying to retract much faster than the slimline can handle.

    The motor in that link would work, but i'd hold off on getting a new one for the moment. I'm using a slimline and it hasn't had those problems so it's not like the aero+slimline configuration doesn't work by design.
     
  5. mokush

    mokush Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    What are the recommended accel, jerk, speed values?
     
  6. Nik

    Nik Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2017
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here are my settings:

    Code:
    /**
     * Default Axis Steps Per Unit (steps/mm)
     * Override with M92
     *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
     */
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 1600, 832.42 }
    
    /**
     * Default Max Feed Rate (mm/s)
     * Override with M203
     *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
     */
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          { 300, 300, 6, 25 }
    
    /**
     * Default Max Acceleration (change/s) change = mm/s
     * (Maximum start speed for accelerated moves)
     * Override with M201
     *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
     */
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      { 800, 800, 100, 10000 }
    
    /**
     * Default Acceleration (change/s) change = mm/s
     * Override with M204
     *
     *   M204 P    Acceleration
     *   M204 R    Retract Acceleration
     *   M204 T    Travel Acceleration
     */
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          800    // X, Y, Z and E acceleration for printing moves
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  1500    // E acceleration for retracts
    #define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1500    // X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non printing) moves
    
    /**
     * Default Jerk (mm/s)
     * Override with M205 X Y Z E
     *
     * "Jerk" specifies the minimum speed change that requires acceleration.
     * When changing speed and direction, if the difference is less than the
     * value set here, it may happen instantaneously.
     */
    #define DEFAULT_XJERK                 20.0
    #define DEFAULT_YJERK                 20.0
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK                  0.4
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK                  5.0
    
     
  7. mokush

    mokush Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you!

    UPDATE:
    Setting the current of the stepper to 1,4A and these speed/acc. settings seems to solve the problem.
    Thank you again!
     
    #7 mokush, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

Share This Page