Titan + E3DV6 Direct obstructed during large print

Discussion in 'Titan' started by pliskin2009, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Hello there,

Seems like Im on the black month here, after solving the overflowrate problems with the extruder Ive started an large work print ( after some small pieces tests ) it worked fine until about the 78% after about 8h of work ( with the random clicking sound Ive readed here from another users ) the extruder stopped to extrude PLA , when Ive checked for it, the filament was broken inside the hotend, manually Ive heated until 230Cº and tryed to feed again from above expecting to push it down to the nozzle, seemed fine until it stopped to extrude again after push a big ammount of the older filament.

Now there is no way to manually retract or push it down again , nothing its passing down the nozzle, so I have the titan dissasembled and the hot end out cutted some exceeding filament and watching the filament inside the PTFE at the top of the of the hotend and its impossible to extract it after heating up to 230 - 260Cº , really bad odd problem here and the extruder have about a 2 weeks at home it havent work properly yet...

So Im a little rookie and this never happened before with the older mk9 one, now I have to dissaseble the E3DV6 with cautino because I dont wanna broke the temp sensor wired or something more , and ¿ try to extract the ptfe , heat up it again and make some force to try extracting that filament right?.

Also I have ordered some calibrated needles of 0,15mm if it can help to clean the nozzle. please can I have some of youre experienced advice on how can avoid this to happen again with this extruder or how its the easiest way to solve it?, can be a faulty motor without sufficient force?.

The print was with white PLA 1,75mm from BQ trademark in Spain , at 193Cº with an retraction of 2,00 and retraction speed of 80mm/s recommended from the support team, at 60mm/s priting speed in simplify 3D.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

#1 pliskin2009, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I would ... release the PTFE tube and pull it off, then heat the hot end, with the fan attached and blowing at first ( but I'm wondering whether you've had heat creep into the heatbreak somehow ). You should only really need the hotend at about 100 to begin a cold pull and that should pull everything cleanly out the hotend. If, however, you've allowed heat to creep too far up the heatbreak, you could have some soft plastic in there that has hardened and that will then continue to jam. That would explain your inability to push from above. You do need to have a fan on the heatsink running at full power all the time once the hotend is over 40C. Does that sound like a golden rule you might have broken? If so, the way to get the plastic out is going to be to remove the fan and allow the heat to creep up the heatbreak a little. You really need to be careful here, you don't want molten plastic in there, you just need to get it to the point where it softens and can be cold-pulled. Start with a temp of about 80 here, and work up in 5 degrees until you can pull it all cleanly out. Good luck.

pliskin2009 likes this.
  3. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Hi again @Spoon Unit , thanks for the answer, seems solved right now ( for the moment ), ive isolated the electronics and the heatsink from the heat block , and before triying to heat the Heatsink in boiling water ( advice from support ) tryed to pull out the PTFE out of there with the tools and some silicone oil to aid me , was a little tought but I achieved it ( So i havent put the jammed pieces into boiling water for anything this time ) the fillament was in one piece there inside the PTFE tube and not inside the heat block ( maybe was just luck ) , the filament was a little deformed maybe occasioned by the push force or the multiple "manual" cold retractions and extrusions trying to push the first clog filament down.

At the very end Ive heated up again into 220Cº the heater block ( was this point like a gold rule as you said and I cant heat up to this temperature? , I thought 210 - 230 Cº was the normal temp to heat only when you need to solve and obstruction problem or change better the filament) ,and with an cooper wire tried to clean a little the interior triying to pull down any trace of old filament, after that ive pulled in new fillament pushing with my hands and it was extruding nice and normally so, replaced the PTFE with a new segmented one and assembled it all again ( once it was cold again ) and tryied to print an small piece an filament oiler for the case, the results where fine maybe a little layers noticeable at some height and retraction little leaks but fine.

The next time I need to print an large work Im gonna be a little scared if it mess it all again like this.... Hoping this problem was only bad luck and not so regular in titan + E3d extruders.

Thank you all.

4. Spoon Unit

The point I was making was; keep that heatsink fan on full when you're printing. That should prevent heat creep into the heatsink, which I suspect caused your problem. Are you running that fan at full power? What's the fan, 12v or 24v? What power are you feeding it? If for example you have a 24v fan and you're feeding it 12v, then you'll be running it at half speed.

5. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

The fan its attached as you point to the heatsink at full speed ( I will check this later) but I supose that because its connected directly to the power supply connectors so it cant be turned down its always at full speed I mean, and I think py power suplly its 12v, but I dont know exactly if the fan its 12v or 24v , its the one with the prusa kit in this shop for sure.

Thanks!

6. Spoon Unit

It looks like the fans that come with the kit are all 12v varieties if you bought the i3 upgrade kit. The part cooling fan is a 12v 50mm blower, and the heatsink fan should be a 30x30 12v fan. Still, it's worth just checking with your eyes what's written on the sticker of the fan. Mistakes can happen.

7. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Thank you so much, as I told before, I will check it when I go home to assure what kind of fan it is because maybe the 50mm fan you saw at shop is the other fan in the kit, the optional layer fan that isnt assembled because it limited my printer height and width area so much blocking the extruder into the prusa metal frame.

Besides... when I check what type of fan it is..., what difference could it make to know it?, I mean, that fan either 12v or 24v 30/50mm its supposed to be directly powered into the Power supply ( supposed to be 12v ) so while its mounted properly into the Heatsink that its all that I can do with it , right?.

It will blow at full speed if the power supply its 12v or half if power only if the fan was 24v and power supply 12v ( (If I understantood your words right We're gonna suppose thats not the case) , nothing more there its configurable, and for my bad that cant expalin the reason of the jammed extruder during the large print .

So maybe this time the reason of the clogged hotend was only a bad luck coincidence or too much tension on the feeder handle and the filament was badly breaked or deformed into the PTFE entry to the heatsink, althrought the fan and heater were right assembled.

I cant assure to you what was the reason of the jam because what we see in the images attached was the result of push the first filament broked with a second filament push ( I remember it was jammed in the top PTFE feeder of the titan extruder below the black plastic feeder below the gears ) , somehow I managed to push out the first jammed filament into the nozzle but something in there messed up bad at the PTFE at the top of the heat sink that the second filament jammed or clogged in there.

Kind Regards!!

#7 pliskin2009, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017