Titan extrusion problem

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Pratick, Sep 2, 2018.

  1. Pratick

    Pratick Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi,

    I've replaced my E3D V6 (that worked fine) on my CR-10S with a Titan Aero for the direct extrusion (hoping I could speed up printing).

    But I have a strange phenomenon directly on the first layer. If you look at that picture,

    [​IMG]
    it really looks like extrusion was not smooth and totally erratic.

    It's PLA at 200°C, the same that was working fine with the original Creality hotend and then with the E3D V6. I've tried to reduce speed but nothing's working.

    I can admit that I made a mistake during the building and the mounting of the Titan but I don't see any problem in it.
    Maybe someone has an idea where I should be looking more precisely.

    Thank you for any help.

    Patrick
     
  2. mhe

    mhe Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2015
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    34
    Since you changed the whole hotend assembly, you have also changed the nozzle, didn't you? Therefore some more setup might be in order:

    1.) Have you changed first layer height?
    2.) Did you check new offset from zero Z to nozzle?
    3.) Mesh bed levelling: if used, did you recalibrate?
    4.) Slicer settings: depending on what slicer you use, you might want to check extrusion width of the nozzle and manually play around with it.
    5.) PLA is not equal PLA and rebuilding stuff takes time - is that filament dry? I have had artefacts like that from bad filament
    6.) Which nozzle did you exactly use?
    7.) If you extrude from the free hanging nozzle, is the plastic coming out straight, without bubbles or curls?
     
  3. Pratick

    Pratick Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi mhe,

    Thank you for your response.

    1) No I didn't change any parameters in the slicer
    2) Yes, I'm using a BLTouch and so I had to change the offset (with M851 command)
    3) Same as point 2
    4) As I said, I didn't change any parameters in Simplify3D as it's the same nozzle that my E3D V6. I also tried Cura.
    5) I've tried another filament with the same result (that was also working well with my previous hotend)
    6) I'm using the 0.4mm nozzle that was shipped with the hotend. I've also tried a 0.35mm
    7) I've experienced both, sometimes straight and sometimes curl.

    Daniel from E3D mentioned over extrusion. Indeed if I reduce the steps/mm of the extruder, the result becomes really better. But it's a nonsense as I've calibrated it using the method described in the manual (making marks on the filament while extruding 100mm and measuring the distance between the 2 marks on the unloaded filament) and the result is 837steps/mm. I had to reduce it to 400 steps/mm (with M92 command) to have a really really better result (but not perfect). It's not rational and so I really don't understand.

    Daniel also asked me to check the bed height as we can have that kind of result if it's too high.

    I can't believe there's a problem with the shipped hardware and a lot of other users don't experience any issue with it. So, I just imagine I have a problem with the mounting. I'm going to remount my E3D V6 back and see if it's working. If not, for sure it will mean that I have another problem not really related to the hotend. And if it works, I'll remount the Titan Aero with a great care hoping it will work.

    I'll post here the results (if any) of this investigation (I'll need a couple of days I think or during next week end).

    Thank you.
     
  4. Mhejjas

    Mhejjas New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,
    What is the extrusion speed you used for calibrating?
    If it's too high (like filament load) then you'll end up with HUGE* overextrusion. The reason is that the amount of extruded material for the same steps made by the motor changes a lot as you change the resistance ahead - like extrusion speed and nozzle size. So its best to make sure that the conditions used for calibrating your printer are as close to the ones when you're actually printing sg as possible.
    Also, this filament length method is really just for fine tuning. You should first calculate the theoretical steps/mm value given by your printer's geometry. The value you get from the measuring after that should not deviate much from the calculated (a few percentages maybe, but definitely one digit). If it's more, something is wrong (sg worn or stepper loosing steps or you made a mistake)
    I didn't really read through all the post, so if sg is too obvious or told before - sorry for that.

    * Depends. With a large diameter nozzle (like 0.8mm) you might not notice anything, but with a .25 mm one the difference can be 20-30%.
     
    #4 Mhejjas, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  5. Pratick

    Pratick Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thank you Mhejjas for your help.

    Indeed the steps / mm for the extruder motor has been calculated (by E3D) and I just adjusted the theoretical value by this manipulation.
    Finally I've dismounted the Titan Aero and remounted the E3D V6 to see if I didn't make any unwanted change by mistake in Simplify3D or Marlin. And it's working fine, so I'm going to remount the Titan *VERY* carefully because I must have made a mistake somewhere. No doubt that the hardware is good. I'll be doing this next week end and I'll be posting here any useful result.
     
    AntonioLaranjeira likes this.

Share This Page