Titan extrusion stops mid print evidence of grinding filament

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by cez, Feb 28, 2017.

1. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I'm having an issue with extrusion stopping mid print and grinding filament So far I've replaced the ptfe tube, changed the hotend/nozzle, checked to make sure I have the correct teeth on the Titan hobb and reduced the retraction distance. It almost feels like I can't push filament through normally without making the tension on the filament too high.

There's no blockage and the stepper motor is running still when the filament stops extruding. Could it be that the volts are not high enough?

#1 cez, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

I remember seeing other thread within this forum dealing a similar issue.
    The solution was to improve heatsink cooling (reapply Thermal Compound Paste between Heatsink and heatbreak or examine that fan is running normally).

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Hmm. In my case recently this might well be the issue. It happened often at layers where the extrusion would slow down. Need to get more goop!

cez likes this.
  4. rvator

rvator Active Member

I built a Bigbox from scratch and had the same issues with both, direct and bowden titan extruders. In my case the stepper driver current limit was set far to high. I did high speed extrusion tests an set the current limit (via Vref) so, that the stepper stalls short before grinding.

This can happen for example it the nozzle is to close to the bed at the first layer. It happend to me also at the chimney of the 3DBenchy. I can't explain why there, but it disappeared there also after setting Vref.

Franz

cez and Stian Indal Haugseth like this.
  5. cez

cez Well-Known Member

When you say the current was too high, what was it set at?

6. rvator

rvator Active Member

At the beginning I set it to the limit of my steppers which is 1A for the direct ant 1.7A for the bowden. In the meantime Vref is 0.355V = 0.71A for the direct and 0.325V = 0.65A for the bowden extruder.

cez likes this.