Titan not extruding correctly

Discussion in 'Titan' started by TstarkEngineering, Apr 29, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

good suggestion, but nope I checked that. its got the same movement as the bearing that supports the hobb gear

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is a hotend issue even though you can push filament through by hand. The hand push will exert more pressure than the hob so could be masking the effect. I would want to check the heat break tube to see if there is any distortion, particularly in the heated block. Other users of Titan do not flag any issues themselves to date but there are not that many out there yet. I'll watch this with interest!

3. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey @TstarkEngineering - let's chat about this via Email. We can report back here when we figure out a solution... I would like to try a new drive gear..

Drop me a line - josh@e3d-online.com

Josh

4. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Yeah mine is using ABS with no problems. It probably isn't the filament. But leave that for josh to determine.

5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

My Titans are shipping today, should arrive Monday, I wondered, is there any update on this, was it specific to the Titan you were shipped?

6. TstarkEngineering

still not entirely sure, numerous people have run titans without problems. Mine was also one of the first that went out and most likely either completely unrelated to the Titan(something with my hotend) or specific to my Titan. I wouldn't stress out over it, as E3D has some smart engineers.

7. EpicFail

EpicFail Active Member

The teeth on that end dont look very sharp. Is that the one that came with it?

8. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Would it be possible for you to upload a short recording on your phone. Curious to see what's going on in the hobbgoblin part. Not sure if the Titan cover is transparent enough to show. Is it only ABS that's having the problem at the moment? PLA, PETG/Colorfabb XT works fine?

9. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I think I know what causes this. I saw this exact problem on my printer after using cheap (read: Chinese) filament.
    It's contamination in the filament which is small enough to get clogged in the nozzle, but still small enough that manual pressure will extrude some material. The extrusion looks the same as in the picture the op presented. The problem became worse after raising the temperature. Thinking it would help get the plastic trought the printnozzle.
    The only thing one can do is to clean the nozzle ie. With the pull technique or remove the nozzle and put it in a container with acetone overnight and afterwards pull a gitarstring through it to clean it out.

With kind regards Tom

mike01hu, Alex9779 and Rob Heinzonly like this.
  10. TstarkEngineering

@Josh did I miss something these are totally different and solved the issue immediately. I can tell the difference, no slipping no grinding it does exactly what it was intended for. Not sure if there was a design change or just a failed part.

New on left, old on right
    [​IMG]

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

The one on the right looks like the BB 1.0 hobgoblin...

12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Mine is just like the one on the right. If they made a change, how do I get one like on the left? Looks like a much meatier hob gear. More area to pull the filament and less chance of it slipping to the sides. I guess that is what I get for jumping in on release day. :)

#32 danzca6, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  13. TstarkEngineering

Mine on the right would probably be still functional but there is almost no teeth. It is U shaped in the middle.

14. danzca6

Yep, mine as well. There is more of a chamfer on the end as well of the left one and the nipple that goes into the bearing looks to be a bit different in the finish. I like the one on the left. I wonder if you are beta testing that new design.

15. TstarkEngineering

Ugh probably. I never know what I'm allowed to post on here, I don't want to make anyone angry....sighhj

16. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It's called development and nothing to be angry about. Fortunately, it has been looked at and you have a result that, hopefully, will become an upgrade for those that have the same problem as you. As long as @Josh keeps us updated and E3D sell the new gear/hob at a reasonable price I'll be happy. :)

danzca6 likes this.
  17. danzca6

I wonder if they can move this thread under the new Titan category on the forum site.

I agree that, like all things, the Titan will evolve with time.

18. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Thread moved.

danzca6 likes this.
  19. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I received my dual upgrade last Monday and I believe they are both like the left hand version:

Titan.jpg

Still a little confused as to why the upgrade kit didn't contain all the correct length screws, I don't have any washes left over from the build as I was short on a few items like washers and a couple of the screws.

20. danzca6

Well then it's official. E3D has done a production design tweak. All of their release media pics show the design on the right. I wonder how we could get the updated part for less than 45 pounds?

Also mine didn't come with the silver graphic sticker on the side. So I wonder if that is an indication of just an early batch or what. I see a lot of folks who are posting pics of theirs with the sticker. Maybe the ones with the sticker are coming with the newer gear.

#40 danzca6, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016