Titan Prints

Discussion in 'Show off' started by PsyVision, Apr 16, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

So I've managed to get two Titan extruders up and running on my BigBox.

I spent several hours this morning getting used to the firmware as the bed levelling is currently done like the pro (ABL) rather than the dual (mesh).

Once that was sorted I went for a traditional square, hidden amongst a collection of others I've previously done, some really bad, can you guess which is the Titan one?

[​IMG]

Next up, the 'Titan-ic', aka Benchy, here on the left, alongside one I had previously done on the right, one of the first few prints ever on my original BigBox.

[​IMG]

All good fun and games but I wanted to test the other Titan so it was time to calibrate:

[​IMG]

Nice! At this point OctoPrint started playing up and then I got a clogged nozzle, after a pull apart and clean it was time for a dual Dizingoff print with E3D PLA black and Scaffold PVA in grey:

[​IMG]

This was a 4:30hr print. Below is the waste:

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I will dissolve it and post the result!!

Spoon Unit likes this.
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Titan is middle row, second in the from the left?

Fascinating how the scaffold falls apart in the build. Really looking forward to see it, post water-bath.

Would be great to see that new Titan-benchy with a bit sharper focus. It certainly looks better, and the lower temperature helps reduce the reflectiveness, definitely leading to a better look.

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

In a 4:30hr print like that on a dual, what percentage of the time is spent heading off to the ooze bucket to switch heads?

4. R Design

Here's a thought: perhaps Mesh levelling was necessary on the original Dual because the print head was so heavy that it needed compensation for rod-sag?

That is, after all, supposed to be the benefit of 9 point vs. 4 point levelling.

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Spoon Unit Close! It's the black square middle row second from the right.

I'm not sure the Scaffold should fall apart, looking at Greg's photos it looks as though it shouldnt. I suspect it's due to settings and calibration.

I will get you some better photos of Benchy.

@R Design Hard to say, this part was in front of the bucket but could have been closer. This new firmware has quicker speed but there's generally a tool change every layer...

On the bed levelling, I went to enable mesh levelling but you can't, why? Well at the moment this has Safe Z Homing enabled because when the X axis end stop is hit the Z sensor is outside the build area with the new head, before it was inside the area. You can only use Safe Z Homing (to safely move the tool head) if you use ABL. If you enable MBL then it won't use Safe Homing and will crash.

This has been discussed on GitHub by the dev team and realised as an issue as of January this year with a fix requested but no patch yet.

I may look into fixing it.

6. Spoon Unit

That was actually my first choice before I zoomed in. Then I noticed the warped base. I guess Titan can't fix the bed heat/material/first layer problem :). The layers do look really smooth on that. Do you notice any change to ghosting, or is that not showing up on that model?

Isn't this an argument for moving the IR sensor a little. Or is moving it just gonna cause the same issue on the other side of the bed. The solution would seem to be to home Z first at say 150,100 (or the first point closest to x=0,y=0 where the Z stop is over the bed), then home X and Y, then move to 5,5 to begin the levelling mesh as, at the point, everything is just about offsets.

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I hadn't got the offset correct at this point. Not used to the ABL method. The layers are really nice, on both the square and the benchy. Where do you mean for ghosting?

This requires a firmware change really to enable Z-safe homing irrespective of bed leveling technique. This is something that the Marlin guys are working towards and that Alex9779 has hacked into the firmware temporarily.

8. R Design

btw. I think it's a pity to have the IR sensor and not really use it + I hate messing around with bits of paper:

is it possible to configure 9 point mesh levelling to USE THE IR SENSOR ?

9. R Design

Here's an interesting experiment.

Put the printhead in the middle of the bed and bring the Z to 0.0.

Get the feel for it with a piece of paper.

Then put a weight (I chose 200g) on the printhead and adjust Z until you have the same "feeling".

I had the impression with 200g it made about 50microns (0.05mm) of difference (in other words half a step on the 0.5mm setting).

If bending is sort of linear and if one of the old stepper motors is 360g, well that suggests that the rod-sag phenomenon is quite a significant part of our reality!

No wonder 9-point mesh is so popular.

10. Spoon Unit

You mean, is it possible to make software do your bidding? Surely it's possible, it's just a question of putting in the effort.

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I think there's already a request on GitHub for it.

12. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Excuse ignorance, because my K8400 doesn't have auto anything on it so I'm not very up to speed on auto bed levelling methods, but I'm a bit confused. In the Kickstarter campaign there was a video with the original flip-down sensor which showed the BB doing some sort of automated 9 point levelling. I thought that the IR sensor was a more accurate way of doing the same thing without relying on mechanical repeatability. So if it's not currently possible... how was that original single head BB doing it in the video? The IR sensor was supposed to be an upgrade but it seems like it's not? Maybe I'm missing something as I haven't seen a BB in action properly yet.

13. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's good but there's a little ringing from the corner that could be down to speed. It's something that I have suffered with on S3D on my old printer but not with Slic3r but I will wait for further results when my BB s built.

14. R Design

That's a very good question.

I remember that too.

Anyone know the answer?

15. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

the automated bed leveling is only for single extruders, with you need to do mesh leveling

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Here are the results. Really hard to photograph it and do it justice but I think the lattice effect is cool!

tmp_18038-20160417_084109-425084486.jpg tmp_18038-20160417_092724-296350099.jpg tmp_18038-20160417_145830778842941.jpg

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

18. R Design

I think the point is, in the Kickstarter it was automated AND 9-point

so that looks a lot like automated-mesh

(in my understanding mesh is upwards of 4 points)

??

19. Spoon Unit

Very interesting print @PsyVision. I suspect there was more scaffold than model material there. Really cool that it just completely melts away. I wonder how this compares with other soluble materials.

20. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes you're definitely right there. To be honest I think there was way too much and not necessarily in the right places. With more refinement and calibration in the quality of the Scaffold printing and also reducing the amount then I think you would get much better results.

Also, this is a really bad 'worst case scenario' where day to day you don't need this complexity and interleave of plastic and support.

I really like the fact you don't need to leave any layers between plastic and support to make separation easier, this helps to increase quality.