Titan Prints

Discussion in 'Show off' started by PsyVision, Apr 16, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever else :D

I really should experiment more but at the moment I don't need HT, carbon engineering parts, flexible etc I just need cheap (UK) good PLA that prints nicely.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Ta-da, bat owl:

tmp_18424-20160420_0645112012374479.jpg

eca, Stefan and Edward Patel like this.
  3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

wtf !

wicked ;)

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh my god, the Batman owl has a cold! :D

JohnEsc, mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Lol. I saw the start of that print last night and though "he's printing an owl, so I'll try a batowl'. Then I looked at the model and thought that those lower feathers just could not print without support. I'm still baffled actually. Does the Titan also generate an anti-grav field?

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  6. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

That will be included in BigBox V2.0, together with 16 million colour pigment injection and a print speed of 1.1415 Parsec/sec ;)

Spoon Unit likes this.
  7. Spoon Unit

@PsyVision What was your print speed and temperature please? Number of outlines? Also did you collect a seam at the back or use a different setting there?

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

50mm/s with 75% underspeed on first layer and outlines. Nozzle @ 200, bed @ 60. 3 top and bottom, 2 perimeters. Seam was positioned to be on the back of the model.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  9. Spoon Unit

OK. I've got a comparison print running. Original extruders and a different black PLA (E3D seem to be completely out of stock last 5 times I looked). Running at 205, which I think is coming out a little more glossy and I do like the matt result you have there. I'm at 50mm/s 70% on layer 1, 50% outline, 75% infill. 3/2 for top/perimeter. I managed to get my fan onto 100% by about layer 30 (forgot to ask for your cooling plan), so this was before any feathers were printed. It's baffling still how well they print. So it's a very close test, but not identical. I also didn't push the seam to a particular position. I'll let this one print and then try that slightly cooler temperature and select the seam position (there's no really ideal place to hide it fully).

Thanks for including a really sharp full size photo. I could be fooling myself, but I think I do see some improvement with Titan there already.

10. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Cooling was layer 3, 30%, layer 4, 40% up to layer 10, 100%

11. Spoon Unit

Wow. Pretty rapid then.

12. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't forget its the new fan mount though, one fan, two heads, different positioning.

13. Spoon Unit

Yeh. So potentially less ferocious.

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Close up shot of the side of the rear wing for the F1 car I've been working on - lovely layers (0.25mm)!

[​IMG]

Sarah Nicholson, mike01hu and JohnEsc like this.
  15. Spoon Unit

Finally dipped my toes in with the announcement of the upgrade kit. Just the horror of rebuilding part of the machine to come ...

16. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Just ordered mine too but as I am part way through the build I don't have that pain!

17. Spoon Unit

Oh great Mike, you're finally building :). Yeh mine is really well setup so it's daunting to consider deconstructing it.

mike01hu likes this.
  18. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

The Z-axis is superb! I hope that remains consistent for you as that is one of the best I have seen and certainly better than I have achieved on my old K8200 even though that performs acceptably.

19. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

What's the trick for positioning a seam?

Is there a setting or do you just keep rotating and slicing until you get a result in the slicer that looks promising?

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

In S3D you have a setting on the "Layer" tab "Start Points". There you can set where the slicer should position the layer changes.
    If you use the XY coordinates the slicer "tries" (not always possible) to position the layer change as close as possible to that spot.
    You do not have to define an exact spot of you part, just a direction is enough.
    I did some examples, I activate "Force retraction between layers" to get the retraction dots in the path view.

Start Points setting Fast 2.PNG Start Points setting Fast 1.PNG

Start Points setting Random 2.PNG Start Points setting Random 1.PNG

Start Points setting X0Y0 2.PNG Start Points setting X0Y0 1.PNG

Start Points setting X325Y200 2.PNG Start Points setting X325Y200 1.PNG

As you can see the dots are always at different locations.

If you set to "Use random for all perimeters", hey are randomized, spread accross the outer surface, regardless if the head has to travel between the end of the previous layer and the start of the next.

If set to "Optimize start point for fastest printing speed, the start of the next layer is as close as possible to the end of the previous one.

If you set coordinates the start point are as close as possible to the given coordinates on the bed.

Sometimes this is not possible for the slicer to do, maybe because the closes spot is not the end of a line or some other things happen.

On simple models this work pretty well, on complex models you have to tinker with that spot and see where the layer changes are placed.

For this so see easily just active "Force retraction between layers" (at least temporarily) and "Retractions" in the path view. Then you see the dots where the slicer retracts and because a retract now happens on each layer change you see where those changes happen...

PsyVision and Rob Heinzonly like this.