Titan stops extruding mid print

Discussion in 'Titan' started by khmusicman, Apr 17, 2019.

1. khmusicman

khmusicman New Member

Hello,
    I can't seem to figure out what's going on here.. but ever since 4-5 days ago, the titan ALWAYS stops extruding after about 1 hour into the print... I noticed, no matter what filament (4-5 diff ones) I use, there seems to be some stripping, but I never hear a click. I already calibrated the extrusion rate, and my retraction distance is 0.6. I have not changed anything from when it was printing just fine. I've never put thermal grease on the heatbreak/heat sink, and have printed fine many times before. I'm thinking there is some heat creep going on, but I'm not sure how to fix it.. I've already got the stock fan on it blowing 100% full blast.

Has anyone had this problem before?? It just randomly stops extruding at some point into the print.

2. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Does the extruder motor feel like it is getting hot when the print fails?

Increasing the filament tension should help reduce any filament grinding that is going on, but if the hotend its self is jamming the grinding could still occur, so do a couple a cold pull's to make sure there isn't a partial blockage in the nozzle, and then increase the filament tension so there is better grip.

Heat creep could be a possible cause, make sure the heatsink cooling fan is set to always on and is fully operational, and make sure you allow the printer to cool down to room temperature before powering off the printer. Also, make sure the sticker on the fan is pointing towards the heatsink rather than away from it. Are you using the stock fan?

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

0.6 retraction should be good as gold. Maybe there's some blockage to create the heat creep. Give the fan a good blow. Check alignment. Consider a new fan. Another possibility is that the filament is not created well, but that would be more likely to generate regular issues rather than almost exactly an hour in each time.

4. halfshavedyaks

I have pretty much the same problem. Only difference is that it happens 4-10 hours into an 18 hour print.

Titan Aeros jam a lot, that has been my experience and a quick look at this forum confirms it is not just me!

I've fixed previous jamming problems with all the tricks mentioned, cleaning, sticking to the stock fan (other fans even with higher free airflow specs don't have the static pressure for the aero heatsink), keeping retraction under 1mm, and more other things than I can remember now.

I am now suspecting faulty thermistors, but I'm really not sure how to tell - my attempts to measure the heatblock temperature directly have been too variable to be useful.

I think that the Aero heatsink is simply inadequate - does any one have a comparison in watts per degree between a standard V6 and a Aero heatsink? The Aero seems to be always too close to jamming from heatcreep and anything will push it over the edge.

You mention not using thermal paste between the heatbreak and the heatsink - this is not what the instructions say to do. Is there a consensus on what effect it has and what sort of paste to use if you do?

About the only common factor in my recent issues is using a different thermal paste so now I'm wondering about that.

5. halfshavedyaks

I'm using arctic MX4 on the heatbreak to heatsink thread. I can't find anything saying I shouldn't or any spec at all for max temp for MX4 - I found one person saying it worked for them. It seems to make it easier to dissemble than the E3D supplied paste I used originally which set and glued the heatbreak in place to the point of being touch and go to remove it without breaking . (on my first Aero it broke, which is why I'm on on my second).

There is some discussion about of using copper grease as thermal paste, I have no info on whether it would be better or worse than MX4 , but it should certainly facilitate disassembly. I think I will use it on the heater bolt in future as those tend to get stuck.

6. DocMortal

DocMortal New Member

Looks like you have tried everything except one. If you think you are getting heatcreep try one of those heat breaks with the ptfe tube inside.

Once I did that the problem went away on my machine. Those all metal heartbreaks are great for high temp materials but for PLA it just sticks 2 much to the throat. HeatCreep.

Try it they are super cheap on Amazon something like mercury in the name.

Also check your print settings at look at all the retractions. If there are too many consecutive retracts it will cause an issue. In simplify 3d I set mine to 10mm distance for any retracts and only when crossing over spaces. Last Page.

These 2 things eliminated my problem on MY machine. Hope it helps

#6 DocMortal, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019