Titan upgrade (dual to dual) what's the advantages

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven, May 27, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I have a BigBox Dual 1.0 with Dual Volcanoes.

It looks like v1.1 is the titan upgrades.

Why should I upgrade to a dual titan? What advantages does it provide?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

To clarify V1.1 has nothing to do with Titan, at first...
    V1.1 is a hybrid head design using a direct extruder and a bowden extruder.
    E3D explained why they did that: to have less variance in the parts they have to print and stock because Pro and Dual have the same heads now.
    In addition to the V1.1 head design there exists an alternative design to allow one Titan to be mounted on the print head to replace the normal direct.

The advantages have been discussed, the hybrid lowers the weight of the print head allowing faster accelerations --> faster prints (this does not mean that your max print speed is increased) but that is also the case if you use the "normal" extruder design without Titans.

The Titan has also several advantages: geared, needs smaller motor --> less weight, better bowden performance...

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

@Steven, what I would like to know is if you are happy with the dual vulcano. And how a dual Titan Vulcano direct feed would be in comparison with the pancake motors? There is a thread here by @Chase.Wichert designing a dual Titan X carriage.

4. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the Volcanos. I have a v5 on my old Prusa i3. I wish I could use all those short nozzles on the volcano... the nozzles are at least twice as long.

As for the v1.1 BigBox; it's hard to find a definitive explanation as to what it is. If I'm backer #465ish and the v1.1 just came out, then why wouldn't I have received the v1.1 Bigbox. Mine is just the BB-1.0 dual.

The forum needs some 'sticky' posts for several topics. 'V1.1 upgrade' being one of them.

What kit is available to make an upgrade of a BB-1.0 dual to a BB-1.1 dual ?

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You need no kit if you just want the hybrid design. You can print the parts yourself.
    1. Download the STLs for the BB from Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/download:2356683.
    2. Print the parts:
      1. hybrid_hotends.stl
      2. hybrid_rear_clamp.stl
      3. hybrid_hi_temp_dual_fan.stl
      4. hybrid_hi_temp_ir_probe.stl
      5. all files in the folder "hybrid/Direct"
      6. all files in the folder "hybrid/Direct Bowden"
    When you see them you will know how this should work out because they are similar to the parts you built for the dual head, but the "bowden" stuff is for mounting on the back plane... The extruder design is very similar.

If you want to switch to Titan also then you can order an upgrade kit from E3D and if you like to also the printed parts you need for them.
    But also you can just order two Titans, with motors or without does not matter, you can use the ones you have, but the new ones would be a bit smaller. But don't forget the bowden adapters! You need one 1.75mm for BOTH Titans!
    Then you need to print the parts 1. to 4. and the upper X carriage part for mounting the Titan. E3D has one (hybrid_e3d_extruder.stl) but this wouldn't let you go near the max build volume because with V1.1 they also change the top frame part, introduced a cutout, we KS backers do not have.
    So again two alternatives to choose for you on this issue:
    1. Cut the upper frame part your self, @mike01hu did that I think, you can search here for instructions.
    2. You use my "lifted" carriage part from here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1515488