Titan upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by John Mather, Jun 1, 2016.

1. John Mather

John Mather Member

Titan hybrid assembly went easily enough but when I power it on it won't turn the direct extruder. I'm converting from a dual direct and it has been printing well.

I'm using this 200 step motor on the direct: Nema 17 Bipolar Step Motor 2.9V 0.7A 18Ncm(25.5oz.in) 17HS10-0704S and the original BigBox extruder motor for the bowden extruder. I applied Alex's firmware
    BigBox_Dual_Hybrid_Titan_MBL-RC. Bowden is extruder 1, direct is extruder 2.

I heated the direct hot end and tried to extrude but the motor clicked once and then stopped. It required a restart to get any movement which is just another click then nothing. I saw on stepperonline that the red and green wires are reversed in their product images so I tried that. Now it clicks continuously when I extrude but never actually turns the motor. I can turn the gear manually and extrude so no clogs.
    IMG_0588.JPG

I undid everything, pushed dual firmware, connected original motor, and confirmed that there weren't any shorts in the wiring. Then installed hybrid firmware again and tried several other combinations of wiring to the motor without any luck. I'm out of ideas.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Do you have the data sheet for the Nema 17 motor to confirm the wiring?

I guess the data sheet for the original motor would be good too to compare it to.

There is a post about wires being crossed, if you have the reference that would be handy (looking for it in a moment, it shows the black connector where the two middle wires are crossed) You may be lucky that the stepper driver didn't blow up.

The clicking sounds like it isn't getting enough current/voltage to turn. Did you do the sums to set the correct voltage for the different current? Equally it could be the two coils working in opposition fighting each other so pushing in opposite directions hence no movement.

You did the right thing in going back to the setup that worked, now it's check data sheets and voltage settings. Check which driver boards you have by looking at the writing on the chip, then refer to this for voltages to set. Lots of different theories on setting voltages etc. but this gives you a starting point where the motor should work, then tuning can come after.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_stepper_driver_board

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with this motor, it turns out that the wire coding (the used colours) is far from standard. I had to cut and solder some wires in order to get the motor turning, and also turning in the right direction. I'm not at home, but I will check my wiring this afternoon and update this post.

4. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

5. John Mather

John Mather Member

Thanks for the info @Old_Tafr, I'm pretty novice on data sheets but I'll give it a go. I did set tune all the drivers to spec during my kickstarter build and they all worked very well.

@Paul Seccombe, I'll see about getting an extra stepper driver, although might just steal the one from the bowden extruder for now.

@Rob Heinzonly , if you get the wiring coding I'd greatly appreciate it.

6. Rob Heinzonly

This is my wiring with the Nema motor you bought (and I also have:)). I also had a clicking sound. I cut the wires on the motor side and swapped the red and green wires:

[​IMG]

I thought I was ready because the motor was running now. But what I didn't notice was that it was running in the wrong direction :(. I chose not to cut the wires again, but to swap the pins in the other end of the connector. It can be done with some extra hands, and a sharp pin. The wires on the other connector look like this:

[​IMG]

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

To change directions you can also just turn the whole connector by 180°...

8. Rob Heinzonly

I tried this at first, but for some reason that didn't work for me...

9. John Mather

John Mather Member

Thanks for the pictures @Rob Heinzonly. I re-wired the connector at the top and stole the stepper driver from my Bowden extruder. I didn't re-wire the Rumba connection as it turned the correct direction with just the top.

Now I just need to figure out how to reduce the steps for the Bowden extruder which is using the original 400 step motor (and order another stepper driver). I saw @Alex9779 's post with the jumper descriptions. Using that info (copied below), do I set it to 8 microsteps/step? Meaning I just pull the jumper off the third pin?

with A4988
    2 3 step mode
    0 0 0 Full step
    1 0 0 1/2 step
    0 1 0 1/4 step
    1 1 0 8 microsteps / step
    1 1 1 16 microsteps / step

10. Rob Heinzonly

I have mine set on 16 microsteps / step. (I didn't change it after the Titan upgrade anyway). I only had to change the Esteps in the Rumba menu.

11. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member