Titan upgrade kit lack of hardware

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by nemith, May 14, 2016.

1. nemith

nemith Member

I received my Titan Pro to Dual Hybrid kit today. I went to put it together and couldn't find the fasteners that the guide was asking for. Being smart I pulled out all the extra hardware that came with my BigBox and sure enough there were some M4 square nuts. Good there. Then I got to the 4xM4 Grub screws for the hot ends. I only have two.

I took apart my existing carriage in hope that those parts would be on my existing x-carriage. Nope. They used regular M4 screws and not grub screws.

It is amazing that this kit comes with everything except for fasteners. I guess I need to go through the entire instructions and see what I am missing. Very disappointed.

2. nemith

nemith Member

The 35mm screws on the extruder also don't sit all the way. The 30mm screws don't go far enough down.

If a spacer is always required why not include one in the kit?

[​IMG]

#2 nemith, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

On mine the thickness of extruder+mount are 28.3mm, so with a 30mm screw there should be 1.7mm left when using a 30mm screw.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Mine was OK but I did have to sort the correct fit.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I would agree that the 30 mm are "just" long enough as the threaded holes in the motor are not too deep ( 6.5 mm ) so you get 1.5 maybe 2 mm engaged when tightened which is on the minimum limit for me as a lot of force applied by the motor.

The absolute max length of screw would be 4 mm longer (34 mm total ) and this would bottom out in the motor holes which is not good so you would have to go with 32 or 33 mm which may not be a standard size. Buy a couple or three 35 mm and file/cut them down a little, they only cost pennies, this is what I will do. Screw a nut down the thread before cutting so the thread is reformed by the nut when you remove it.

6. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

This feels like a design error...

We shouldn't have to modify screws to make them fit and only 1.5mm of engagement is just asking for trouble.

7. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

I got my dual hybrid upgrade kit and I only received two extruders and a few of the required parts (PTFE, zip ties and some o rings). I'm missing all the printed parts and have to contact support :(

8. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Deleted.

#8 Mark_T, May 14, 2016
    Chris Toast likes this.
  9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Ok I might be stating the obvious but you know the printed parts are an optional extra with that upgrade kit ? The intention is you print them before upgrading your printer....you did tick the box ?

10. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

There is a customisable spacer available on Thingiverse for the titan, obviously won't help if you've already disassembled your carriage but could be another option to improve the fit of the 35mm screws supplied.

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Colin likes this.
  12. Old_Tafr

Of course the "custom spacer" could be one of these new fangled things called a mangle? no....... tub? no.......... dinner lady?............no......... char lady? (charlady maybe) nooooooooooooooo ah yes............. a washer (or three)

with a 35 mm screw (socket screw?) (bolt?) (set screw?)

Of more concern is the top right set screw passes through the large cogwheel, if you ever so slightly tighten this too much the cogwheel binds. The design should be such that the cogwheel should be free to move regardless of how tight the screw is. A lock washer under the screw head would be a good idea to stop this unscrewing. (no I didn't read the instructions ! but I don't see a lock washer in the kit....... only one in the same set of drawers where I found the washers (5 under the head for the 35 mm screws)

#12 Old_Tafr, May 14, 2016
  13. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

Went and reviewed my order and indeed it seems that option didnt stick. I guess its on me to review it better cause 10£ is certainly not an issue if I am going to go through the trouble of making an order.

Old_Tafr likes this.
  14. Old_Tafr

Odd, mine didn't arrive with the kit either, but I had printed some as a test.

15. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

There was a problem with the early (day 1) webpage in that the extra printed parts were not obviously listed as an option. I got caught by that but an email exchange sorted it.

16. nemith

nemith Member

Looks like i am also missing the stepper cabling for the bowden stepper as well as the jummper for the PT100 amplifier. *sigh*

For as much as this cost me this is quite frustrating

17. Old_Tafr

What stepper cabling? Aghhh.... Maybe that extra one that came with the original kit? Which of course ISN'T wired in so I have to remove that damned base, even though I'm going to install Molex connectors on all the wires.