Titan upgrade, motor option

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Falc.be, May 13, 2016.

1. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

got my titans today

I took the extra motor option, but as it turns out they are 1.8 degree motors instead of the current 0.9 motors on my Bigbox

Is there a specific reason why I would need motors with bigger steps ? I dont see the logic in offering those motors as an option right now

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

They are also not pancake ones?

Possibly can get away with bigger steps because of the gearing, previously it was direct drive.

#2 Old_Tafr, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the plan for the kits that are currently being sold is to use the motors originally intended for the Z axis (200 step) on the extruders and to use the original extruder motors (400 step) on the Z axis.That way you have the lighter motors on the extruders.

It would seem logical to do the same thing if you are upgrading an existing BB so you wouldn't actually need to order any additional motors at all.

Sounds like what you have bought there is just two more of the motors you already had on the Z axis...

4. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

The motors that come with the uograde kit are smaller than the ones you get with the 1.0 BB. Not sure are the ratio. But they are definitely smaller.

5. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Interesting, so on the 1.0 BB what did you get for the Z axis?

Are they not smaller than the ones for the X/Y/Extruders?

6. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I might be losing my mind as I did buy pancake motors for my uograde, but the new ones looked smaller than either of the two types I got with the 1.0

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

More curious than anything, the ones E3D were supplying as an option are listed as a Nema 17 40N which is the same description as the ones they now supply for the Z axis in the kits, just wasn't sure if that has always been the case or if the original Z axis motors were bigger.

You can certainly buy smaller motors elsewhere, but if you get a new BB Dual 1.1 kit which ships with Titan, you'll be running 400 step motors on the X/Y/Z axis and using the 200 step on the extruders.

#7 Mark_T, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  8. Richard Barbosa

Richard Barbosa Well-Known Member

The original 46nm motors will be fine and will actually give you a slighter higher print resolution for the extruder.