Titan/Volcano Combo Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Michael Czeiszperger, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Michael Czeiszperger

I successfully installed a Titan to go with my E3D Volcano, and it had been working nearly 24 hours a day for the past month, but suddenly stopped working in the middle of a print and I have been unable to get it working again. Given it was working fine for a long time and nothing had changed, that points to a failure somewhere instead of a configuration error.

So far I've swapped the entire hot end with an entirely new Volcano hot end twice, swapped out the motherboard, tried different STLs, different filaments, different temperatures, different speeds. With no retraction, at 40mm/s print speed filament stops moving within a minute or two.

On the Titan I replaced the filament guide, verified that the filament guide is the 1.75mm model, adjusted the voltage to the extruder motor, and took the entire thing apart and cleaned it numerous times.

The result is always the same-- the filament can be pushed through the hot end easily, but the Titan stops pushing filament after a couple of minutes. The wheel spins, but no filament is forthcoming.

The only thing I noticed that may be a clue is when the Titan is working the filament is in the middle of the hobbed gear. When it stops extruding the filament has drifted to the extreme left of the hobbed gear. This is possible since the plastic 1.75mm marked filament guide has a hole that's much larger than the filament. At first I thought it was the 3mm version, but its got 1.75mm stamped right on it.

Attached Files:

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

That hobbed bolt looks full of gunk. At least start by brushing that clean. Is that bowden tube right? It looks like a very loose ID with the filament flopping around.

3. Michael Czeiszperger

Thanks! Yes, I've cleaned the hobbed bolt dozens of times, including right before taking that photograph. It is full of junk because the filament is getting chewed up.

What's "ID" mean?

4. Spoon Unit

Inner Diameter.

5. Michael Czeiszperger

For anyone with the same problem, I had forgotten to put the PTFE tube in the feeder. Without it, the filament drifts on the hobbed bolt and it can't keep a steady push on it.

There's three full days wasted on pilot error :-(

6. Spoon Unit

Ahhhh. Yes that definitely helps. FYI, I found that over time, the PTFE can get sucked further and further in as a result of friction, eventually contacting and shredding on the hobbed bolt. To prevent that, I created a tiny thing to prevent that from happening.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2130065

7. Michael Czeiszperger

Thanks, that looks helpful.