Titan with Pancake Stepper Max Current

Discussion in 'Titan' started by dadiy, Jul 19, 2017.

1. dadiy

dadiy Member

I just upgraded my reprap (with Duet) to use the Titan and the 1.8 pancake motor from e3d, everything is set step wise to extrude 100mm when asked, but in actual use or used quickish to load/unload filament etc the pancake motor is stalling. My old motor ran at 1amp but I thought I saw the pancake motors should be run at 400ma, but I can't find anywhere what the max for the motor is. Does anyone know?

thanks
    DA

2. MCFrescher88

MCFrescher88 Member

So scouring the E3D wiki, and looking for similar motors elsewhere, nothing much came up. I saw a comparable Nema16 12.7N-cm torque motor which had a max of 600ma. I'd put in a ticket to E3D themselves and ask what's the rated max.

But from personal use, with this pancake motor on my RAMPS 1.4 + DRV8825 drivers, i set all the reference voltages on the drivers to .5-.6 volts. If i get stalling it usually is the filament tensioner is too tight, or the extruder body loosened up and the hob gear is slipping on the motor gear.

3. Bugcatcher

Bugcatcher Member

I'm also chasing the full specs, especially the amp rating of the E3D supplied Titan Aero pancake motor so I can adjust driver. Using a DRV8825 drivers currently and the motor seems to be skipping steps fairly easily. The tension on the filament was quite tight initially but have since loosened it right off and seems better but there's not much adjustment available now.
    Only other thing I can try is to get the idler a bit smoother on the motor shaft as I think it may still be a bit tight putting extra load on the motor.

I actually think that main issue is the lateral load on the motor shaft as you increase the spring tension stalling the motor. Ideally I think there should be a bearing between the idler and motor shaft.