Tommy Titan

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Apr 24, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

mike01hu and Duncan Chivers like this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Tom seems happy with it. I'm glad I've got mine on order! :)

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah... And I can slap myself I didn't think about this is a "cheap" solution for my UM2 too! I did some measuring and it fits perfectly and is better accessible than my self-made one... And I still can easily switch from 2.85mm to 1.75mm filament, just have to change the bowden adaptor and the filament guide... Ok and all the other stuff if switching but that I have to do anyways... Though I will just use the stock motor...

mike01hu likes this.
  4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

It's interesting though that Tom seems to say that the greatest part of the goodness that the Titan can bring to print speed & quality is when it makes Direct Extrusion systems LIGHTER. And that, of course, comes about when you hunt the net for the lightest possible motor.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

This is the one I got, http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...or-35v-1a-13ncm184ozin-17hs081004s-p-101.html. Amazon had it in stock under the stepperonline store, but are out the last I checked. It doesn't have a plug for the wiring. If you want a plug, you need to go one size bigger. It's only a 5mm depth difference and you get 1/3 more torque and is only 20 g heavier despite the advertised weight as proven by @JesperJuul in this thread (http://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/which-nema17-for-titan-usa.1161/#post-10929).

JesperJuul likes this.
  6. danzca6

For using 1.75 filament you need to add a length of PTFE tube into the top of the idler lever. Anyone know what the min suggested length is supposed to be for proper guidance? I don't want to have a big stick of PTFE sticking out if not needed.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think it must be very long... Just insert it all the way down, mine was a bit hard, sanded my tube so it slides in smoothly...
    It is just that the filament can't move in the bigger hole of the lever so it is always centered between the bearing and the drive gear... I would just use a tube long enough to grip it, actually I think it would be enough if you just have a tube in the lever that does not protrude to the outside...

8. danzca6

Perfect. Thank you for the confirmation. Mine was uber tight. There was some visible flashing from the factory one mine that I lightly removed. So the tube now fits it's just pretty darn tight. Ha! No noticeable friction on the filament, but I may just take it out and give it a bit more tolerance. I just don't want to run into the issue of retracting course materials like Tom ran into where the tube backed itself out.