Tool Changing troubles

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Omnimuller Inc., Feb 9, 2020.

1. Omnimuller Inc.

I just noticed that when I do the following, my Toolchanger gets confused:

T-1
    T1
    T0
    T3

After the T0 toolchange, it just puts the tool back and switches T3 on in software but does not proceed to go and pick it up. All subsequent toolchanges are then delayed by one- meaning that if I then tell it to pick up T2, it is correctly activated in software, but T3 is picked up instead of the correct tool.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem? Is it perhaps even a known issue, and if so, is there a fix for it?

I should also mention that running a T-1 resets the whole thing and it works again until I send the sequence again.

I am running the stock firmware as indicated in the documentation, with the only modification being that I run PT100s instead of thermistors

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

That sounds really weird! I've never heard of it happening before. I can only think that there is an error in either one of your tool change files (or a macro that one of them calls) or in your M563 tool definition commands in config.g. I suggest you start by checking that tpre3.g and tpost3.g are correct.

That sequence works for me, but I am running RRF3 with the files altered to place X0 Y0 at bed centre, so my files are not directly comparable to your.

3. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

After years of frustration over having X and Y in the middle of the plate with Makerbots why would you move it there Vs front left???

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

*cough*
    deltas
    *cough*

5. 1013D

1013D Active Member

some people do it to be able to move code to different size printers without re-compile....it has it's benefits, but also down sides

Also,

why would you ever need to call up the tools like that?

6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

So that I can use the same slicer configuration and often the same GCode files for each of the 5 printers that I use, despite them all having beds of different shapes and sizes

Why did you find it frustrating having X and Y in the middle of your plate on a Makerbot?

7. Andy Cohen

The major problem I have had with the Makerbot's use of X/Y as 0,0 dead center of the bed is from when I need to control the tool path start/end. That is... where the zipper is most likely to show(I aim for corners). Using S3D I just about always use the "Choose start point at specific location" selection in the layer tab. That X/Y input can be done simply by looking at the item on the virtual bed when X/Y is front left. I can easily guess about where I want it to start at. But when the X/Y are dead center and I can't move the object on the bed in order to make that location easy to guess it can be a major pain. It's a chore when I go from a RRFW or Marlin machine to a Mightyboard/Sailfish.
    There's other use cases where having 0/0 at front/left has made for quick decisions and setups. It's just all around a heck a lot easier Vs having half the bed in the negative.

8. Andy Cohen

I've only had 1 Delta. It sits unused.

9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

My delta is my most consistent and reliable printer. The TC comes second, but the delta is faster.

10. Andy Cohen

Ah. I never wrote that the Delta did not print well. I wrote I never used it. Why don't I use it? Because the tall, narrow build area got in the way of how many use cases it met. Additionally all the different settings from other machines (in particular the Bowden extruder) changed my task flow. Both of these are anathema to using the machine in a business.

BTW, with the Nimble's (so far) I'm now printing with the TC at the same speeds as my other CoreXY machine 80-100mm/sec.

11. Omnimuller Inc.

I was playing around with different sequences to calibrate docs.
    Also, does it really seem that unlikely that this sequence could happen in a multi-material print?

The issue has since mysteriously disappeared an reappeared off and on.

I did change my setup to a Duet 3 this weekend using the files provided by mkudzia in the Stealth Toolchanger thread and haven't had the issue appear ever since.

As pointed out in my first post, I was using the stock firmware straight from github, with only a modification tho the 4 M305 commands to configure pt100s. So if nobody else can reproduce the error with the same software, that only leaves the hardware, right? I really wonder what could have something like this. Oh well, we will never know I guess

12. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I once saw a problem that the TC should pick up the first tool but only moved in+out+parked in front of the place.
    When I wanted to make a movie it didnt ever happen again.

But I had some old version installed I guess. Then I started upgrading to RRF 3.