Tool plate issues

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by KML7, Jun 7, 2021.

1. KML7

KML7 Member

I could make a gizmo that would give more accurate measurements but these are close (I did use a caliper). Sorry my caliper is not metric... The number are the distance in inches that the ball on the tool side of the tool changer plate sticks out past the exterior face of that part. The numbers are looking at the plate from the front of the printer. The first number is the top ball and then the lower right then lower left.

Tool 0: 0.103" 0.105" and 0.125"
    Tool 1: 0.157" 0.112" and 0.102"
    Tool 2: 0.109" 0.112" and 0.11"
    Tool 3 0.12" 0.13" and 0.133"

Here is a picture of tool 1
    upload_2021-6-7_8-5-45.png

I removed the stepper motor and did a tool installation on the tool changer and rotated the shaft by hand to get a sense of the torque required to turn it to a fully locked position. Tool 0 and Tool 2 took what I felt to be a reasonable amount to expect from that stepper motor. Tool 1 was definitely more difficult to spin and tool 3 was easier than tool 1 but I felt like it would eventually create issues. I have a replacement stepper motor coming but I am a little concerned that tool 1 is going to put too much stress on the new motor.

I did look briefly at similar threads but I wonder what the opinion is about pushing the balls into the tool plate myself? I did not find any information on that specific issue. I have a couple different options for using a press to do it but I am not sure what risk this poses to ruining the tool plate? If I could get all of my tool plates to be fairly close to what I have on Tool 0 I am fairly confident that the drive system on the tool changer will have a long prosperous life.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

Interesting findings. There was a recent thread on here where someone's tool plate ramp ring was preventing the bayonet from engaging. Looking back I never would have considered that the balls might be the problem...

I suspect the balls are glued into the plate. I don't know how the plates are manufactured, but I wonder if something prevented those balls from being fully inserted in the first place.

It's probably worth reaching out to E3D's support if they don't respond to this thread.

3. KML7

KML7 Member

Yeah I have a ticket going about it. After I got that going I thought it was a good topic for discussion here as well.

My opinion about this is that it is an important enough issue that there should be a QC check with a +/- allowance for the stick out of each ball. There is a noticable difference on how difficult it is to turn that shaft by hand. I think it will significantly shorten the life of that stepper motor. I believe my original stepper motor was toast before I did 10 tool changes due mostly to that one really bad plate. I also have reduced the tension on that spring so that the larger gear is as far out on that shaft as possible and still engage all the teeth on that smaller gear.

I did ask E3D support about pressing those balls in further myself. I have no intention of using the bad plate again anyway but I would be curious if something like heating that area would help to soften adhesive or if there is another solution to my getting that part to be usable.

4. KML7

KML7 Member

I used a press to push the balls and the metal insert all the way in without much trouble. It appears that the parts are friction fit in place. After I had success with the worse tool plate I removed all of them and pushed all the balls in all the way. They are all now very close to being the same.

Greg Holloway likes this.
  5. Rene

Rene Active Member

Just push the balls completely in. Pliers do work too.