Toolchanger not grabbing tool

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Stig, May 30, 2021.

1. Stig

Stig Member

Hi everyone!
    I just got my toolchanger assembled with 4 hemeras on it and in the process of setting up the tool changing configuration I ran into a problem where one of my tools would not be picked up.

T0, T1 and T3 are picked up correctly while the C motor stalls out on T2 every time.
    I tried holding each tool against the toolchanger manually with similar results, all are picked up except for T2.

Placing another tool at the T2 position yields a successfull pickup.
    I reassembled the T2 tool to make sure nothing was in the way of the toolchanger without success.

Any ideas of what to try next?

2. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

TC Plate.jpg
    If you compare the problem tool to the others, do you notice anything? Is the ramp plate in the problem tool fully seated in the toolplate?

3. Stig

Stig Member

I can't see any difference between the tool which is not working and my other tools, I'll post images in a while.

4. Stig

Stig Member

Here are some images and a video of when it occurs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Stig, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
  5. Stig

Stig Member

To add to the media above:
    I have tried increasing the motor current to 525milliamps with no visible difference.
    Wiki says: Duet 2 WiF/Ethernet is done in steps of 100mA and is rounded down.
    But I dare not increase if any further as to not damage the motor.

6. Joe Pomo

OK. That was just the first thing that came to mind. Some others on the forum have experienced this issue because the ramp ring was either not installed correctly from E3D or it got pushed out during a tool-change due to misalignment. I checked my tools and they all look like the attached image with no visible gap between the plate and the ramp ring.

In your first still image, it looks like there's a small gap between the plate and the ramp ring, can you confirm that's the case (or maybe it's just a shadow?).

I'm using 500mA for the TC motor and I really never run into issues with stalling, but I also recognize that probably everyone's configuration is slightly different.

Attached Files:

7. Stig

Stig Member

There is a very slight gap between the plate and ramp ring. I was just barely able to fit some 30awg wire in the gap.

8. Stig

Stig Member

Is it possible to adjust using a bench vise or should I try to return the part?

9. Joe Pomo

I would reach out to E3D Support for their advice. They may also have other ideas of what might be causing the issue if the ramp ring isn't the problem.

Stig likes this.
  10. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, the brass insert looks damaged on the side that engages with the locking pin. A replacement plate is probably what you need; I wouldn't put it in a vice without the proper jig because I would be afraid of bending the tool plate.

11. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

or... more likely... The brass insert needs to be correctly seated. I had one come out a bit too. I can see from the pics that the insert is not in all the way. I used a hand clamp and very even pressure to seat it correctly.

12. KML7

KML7 Member

I would be curious if this is the same issue I posted where the balls are not pushed in all the way. I used a caliper to measure how far the ball sticks out. For the plates that had too great a distance the stepper motor stalls. For plates that were in farther worked fine. I have not gotten past configuration yet so printing is not happening for me yet. But I would guess that this issue will be a show stopper because the stepper motor loses steps and ends up in between the locked and unlocked position. Do you have a way to measure how far the ball sticks out past the face of the tool plate?

13. Joe Pomo

Glad to see you got it worked out, in the end.

Coincidentally, I just had this exact problem with a new toolplate. In this case, I think the insert scraped the aluminum when it was inserted and the little piece of aluminum prevents it from seating properly.

T_Plate_1.JPG T_Plate_2.JPG