IDEAS Tornado Precision Geared extruder?

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by eca, Mar 8, 2016.

1. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Anyone see this on Thingiverse? Looks very interesting and could cut a lot of weight off the whole carriage. Uses Nema 14 motors instead of 17s. Just wondering about your thoughts on the design. He is developing a dual version as well. Maybe if enough of us show interest he could modify it to fit the BigBox?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1246951

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I saw that, and I really like it. I wish he didn't have the no derivatives clause cause I'd want to adapt that

3. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I have written with him and he said that if I send him info he will see what he can do. I really don't know the dimensions of the extruder or the mounting points of the IR sensor.
    In the description it says "*Also compatible with i3 Rework and typical 23x23mm x-carriage hole patterns" I am not sure what type of x-carriage hole pattern the BB has. It also looks as if the Prusa has the rods running on top of each other whereas the BB runs them horizontally. Any info I can send him to see if he could rework it a little would be great ;)

4. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Have you heard anything back from the creator about any progress?

5. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Sorry, haven't been here in awhile since I wanted to try this out after getting my printer together (priorities ;)).
    But, the creator of the Toranado will release the files so they can be edited. I am waiting for him to release his dual extruder design and work from that.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

You should send them a PM, sometimes they just stick with the license they know and sometimes they would be willing to make an exemption for certain individuals. At worst they say no and you only lost the time it took to send a short message, at best......

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Out of interest, how do you think this design as it stands would handle flexible filament? I notice in one of the pictures that only the PTFE tube extends up to the hob bolt, will that be enough to stop flexible filament from moving and going where it shouldn't? On the Titan there appears to be a fairly rigid plastic assembly going almost all the way to the hob bolt.

8. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Supposedly the one who designed it has had no problems with flexible filaments. It has been designed for the Prusa i3, and apparently modifiying it for the BigBox might be troublesome, but I will check it out after finishing my BigBox built and getting the things I need first printed out. I also want to wait for him to get his dual version out since that is what I am more interested in using his design for.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.