Total Number of Nut Traps used in build?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Gregory Grubbs, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Gregory Grubbs

Gregory Grubbs Active Member

Maybe someone know the answer, I know I could just pull the acrylic count but constructing in somewhat limited space it would be easier to have an idea going in, I wasnt able to find it if it was somewhere else in the forum and I suppose I will start counting mine as I am about to start framing up. edit: I have the dual build

#1 Gregory Grubbs, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think it's like 150 something. I believe they include ~180 in the kit which includes 10% extra

Gregory Grubbs likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Base plate has 25 on the edges and 5 for the stabilizer thingys...... I counted them yesterday evening about 20 times when I reopend the base plate.... and I'm still missing 1 square nut from the disassembly :(

4. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Glue those things in! Especially for the base, I found out the hard way too.

5. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

I (stupidly) glued in all the nuts in to the nut-traps. Now I have just found out that I'm 9 short, and will likely need to prise some of them out again.

If there is indeed 20 more than required, then all should be good, at least!

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I glued the 160 from the BOM and I used all my M3 square nuts when I was finished building.
    But I didn't need all 160, I didn't count but I have about 10 left or so...

7. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Don't bother with glue........... use my trick of a narrow, 2 inch long wooden wedge (softwood is better) clip a nut in the fitting, slip fitting into the frame, slip the wedge in which then holds both the plastic fitting and the nut in place, (you can then let go completely whilst you make tea or coffee or pick up the Allen key) turn screw until the thread just starts, then start to slip the wedge out as you tighten further.

Works every time, plus if the thread does not start then with a little pressure on the wedge, turn the screw anticlockwise until it clicks, then screw in as normal.

8. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Gluing is good for the base plate, just in case you have to reopen it. for the rest I used cardboard /wedges.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm glad I glued all mine in place. I hate putting those buggers in.

they were originally hoping that the square nuts would have high enough tolerances to lock in place, but the tolerances were off

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It has been half an hour work to glue all the 160 you need according to the BOM. At last I didn't use all, I didn't count how much are left of my glued and some fell out so I had spares.
    But I gotta say it was totally worth the time spent.
    No fiddling with the nut traps anywhere just insert and screw...

Just to mention it: I screwed the nut on a M3x30 or so screw for some turn. Then I applied a little glue on one side of the nut trap and pushed them into a nut trap starting holding the non-glued side of the nut first and then pushed the other side in. That way the glue does not get under the nut if you applied a little too much...

11. Sgllama

Sgllama Active Member

One suggestion for gluing the nuts: don't do it at the end of the evening and drift into a reverie, only stopping when you realise that you've run out of nuts!
    IMGP6919.JPG
    But if you just put the tiniest drop of glue into the corner of the nut trap then it is (relatively) easy to pop a few out again as you need them in the rest of the build: screw in a long screw to get some leverage and just lever it out.

Chase.Wichert likes this.
  12. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

And that's all you need anyway. The glue is simply to hold it there when screwing in, not structurally hold the nut...

13. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

They provide a few spares so if you glue nuts in them all you may run out later for jobs where they are essential.

14. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

do them in batches of 30 or so... You won't suddenly run out that way and won't over use...