1. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

Good evening. I upgraded my Maker Select v2 to Ramps 1.4 Marlin1.1.0 RC8 with BLTOUCH and Titan/E3d. I have yet to get a successful print... but, my question is this. On the v6 hotend with titan extruder I cannot seem to get tpu filament to extrude. It pushes pla just fine. Tpu clogs in the nozzle before ever coming out. I have run temps from 190 to 260 to try to extrude it manually, thru octoprint and connected to my laptop. The extruder just clicks as if there isn't enough strength to push it thru. I also tried nozzle sizes from .4 to .8 to no avail. Any suggestions ? The tpu is getting into the hotend, just not getting out.
    Thank you in advance.

2. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

I had this happen to me to with various filaments. The problem was that when I load filament it didn't load all the way. It got stuck on top of heatbreak I suspect. The way I fix this is that before loading I heat up the end of the filament with the lighter to the point it gets soft so I pull it by hand to get it thin. Now I can load the filament and this thin end of filament can pass all the way through the nozzle.
    Hope this helps you.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

One thing that might help with getting the filament all the way down is to chamfer the top internal entryway of the PTFE tube which sits inside the Titan. This helps with all filaments, but maybe is particularly helpful with TPU. The other thing which many here have now done is to use a short piece of the same Titan-to-Hotend-PTFE at the top of the Titan. This helps create a very good guide path through the top of the Titan, past the hobbed bolt, and down into the PTFE below (hopefully now chamfered). There's another benefit with this too, particularly with TPU as it's slightly more sticky surface no longer has to fight against the longer PTFE tube feeding the top of the Titan. For me, with all filament, I simply push back against the spring at the top, and keep feeding filament all the way to the bottom, which is probably close to 100mm push in total.

4. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

My titan has the new plastic filament guides. no ptfe. I am unable to push the filament to the bottom as it gets stuck before getting to the nozzle.

5. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

Thank you, I will try this out.

6. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

Thanks, but did not work. Tried varying levels of thin. It seems it gets clogged in the hot end but never gets to the nozzle. With the nozzle off the tpu feeds fine. With the nozzle on it clogs. Thank you though

7. markoaurelije

Can you try loading the filament in cold hotend as far as you can by hand?
    Then warm up and try extruding.

I am thinking that there is insufficient cooling of the heatsink so it get warm in heatbreak where the stuff gets sticky if not cooled properly.

8. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

Mark, I tried that. I can push it as far as the heatbreak. Then it stops. It will not extrude passed that either. Perhaps I have the fan upside down ? Right now I have it mounted with the exit on top of the heatsink. Previously tried it the other way however I had the wrong filament adaptor in by mistake.

9. markoaurelije

10. Spoon Unit

I'm not talking about the Titan. From the bottom of the Titan, unless I'm mistaken, you'll have a bit of PTFE going down to the v6. That the part I'm talking about chamfering. The bit at the top is also not part of the Titan, but something which might make your life easier.

11. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

My mistake, the pieces I am referring to are included with the v6 hot and goes ontop of the heatsink end to eliminate the need for the pthe tube if I understand it correctly. Unless I am still required to put PTFE inside the v6 hotend.

12. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

13. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

I see it now in the manual. Mine came partially assembled so I assumed it was done correctly. How much would you suggest chamferring ?

14. Spoon Unit

At a 45 degree angle just to ease entry ... something like this :

upload_2017-3-6_18-38-8.png

#14 Spoon Unit, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  15. JoseTMR

JoseTMR Member

Thank you both for your answers and advice. The PTFE tube did the trick I am now able to print and load with TPU.

Spoon Unit and markoaurelije like this.