Transporting the big box

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, May 22, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So I am teaching a class tomorrow (it will be really cool, and I will post about it tomorrow) but need to bring my BigBox over to the hospital simulation center, so this will involve a car ride. I am planning on securing the X/Y/Z axes with split foam pipe-insulation cut down to size on each rod which should hold them in place. Take the bed glass off and put that in with my laptop in the padded bag. Lower the bed to the bottom stops. And of course put some padding underneath the printer over all. Obviously will need to relevel, etc on arrival. Any other thoughts?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Keep it on a flat solid base when you transport it, and brace it at the front top-left to top-right, this is where there isn't any frame and so the relatively strong frame is weakest (weakest as it does not exist).

Lifting it is also likely to put the most strain on the frame and could distort it, so lifting from the base or better from whatever supports the base would be best.

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Transporting it on a solid platform sounds smart since you don't want the frame twisting repeatedly. If you want move it often,

I wonder if a tie-bar across the front would help. You have two M4 on each side you could mount it to.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I drove mine 250 miles lying at about 30 degrees to the horizontal on soft foam. Bed was lowered and axes secured, that's all.

Suggest arriving early enough to allow for testing and calibration time, just in case something is not right.

5. Henry feldman

All good suggestions. The good news, is I will move it on a wheelchair through the hospital.

mike01hu, JohnEsc and Sarah Nicholson like this.
  6. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

I recommend a back brace!!! :D

mike01hu likes this.
  7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

When I drive my cats to the vet, they have the slowest, smoothest ride in the world, as I know they have no idea what's coming and can't brace themselves. I brake very early, expecting every junction to present a nightmare. Roundabouts are driven as close to straight lines as I can. Acceleration and deceleration are super smooth. Drive your bigbox with that kind of level of care and you should be fine.

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@Henry feldman leave the glass on, as it will be safer on the bed. Run the bed to the bottom with a couple of bits of foam underneath. As long as you have secured X and Y travel you will have no trouble as the frame is very stiff . . . unless you are driving over cobbles in your pony and trap! :D

9. Henry feldman

Alright, got it all packed up (for future reference, a BigBox is a pretty snug fit in a Honda CRV trunk). The foam insulation worked really well for my wounded printer (from the nylon "incident") and when it returns the conversion to dual hybrid will commence. Note the foam is not really bending the middle support that is an optical illusion.

[​IMG]

Miasmictruth and mike01hu like this.
  10. Henry feldman

HaHa, given I am married to a Vet, and I used to be a vet tech, maybe not the best analogy (I met my wife when she was flipping sheep upside down over her leg to examine them). But yes, I get the point...

As for roundabouts, this is Boston, we always drive them like they are a straight line, since curving shows weakness! :rolleyes:

11. mike01hu

Thanks for the heads up, as that's my current mode of transport. Good luck with your presentation!

12. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I'm from Boston too... North Shore. but we call them rotary's. Remember that Bostononians dont signal, dot stop and drive like they stole it. Hey, that's why they came out with that bumpa sticka: M@ssh0le.

Seriously; this post is timely, I'm was invited to present at a charter school science fair; this and my FPV quad copters.
    Some 3d printed.

13. Henry feldman

Worked like a charm... Actually some of the smoothest prints I've ever gotten. Maybe I need to drive my printer around before every print!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

14. mike01hu

Like all of us, it needs a day out! :cool:

JohnEsc likes this.
  15. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Just as with humans, fresh air is good for it..

JohnEsc likes this.