Trapping Nuts (A simple trick for assembly)

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The nut traps at first sight appear a real pain to assemble, especially if you are trying to fit the set screw from the opposite side blind and so scratching the acrylic.

A simple trick is to make a small but long narrow wooden wedge, place the nut in the trap, place the assembled trap in place then gently insert the wedge (best made long so that the taper is over a couple of inches).

This will softly hold the nut in the trap and the trap in place which you screw the set screw in place, just remove the wedge before the screw pushes into it.

If the screw fails to start in the thread then with gentle pressure turn the screw anticlockwise until you hear a faint click, then turn the screw clockwise, works every time on all parts of the assembly.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

An added advantage is that given enough wedges you can pre-assemble the nuts traps on one part before mating it with the other.

3. 69charger

69charger Active Member

I used a thin fillet knife to hold the nut and trap in place. Worked great.

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I didn't have much trouble with the nut traps. I put the nut in the trap, then held the trap against the back of the cutout until the screw grabbed the nut and started pulling it. Let go of the nut trap, job done. No glue, no tools.

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I glued about 95% of what I required to put everything together. Not on purpose, I just guessed and that was where I was. So in the final assembly I had a few that I put in with no glue. Inevitably I had to redo some work and just now took the bottom off to fit an RPi3 instead of the one supplied. As I unscrewed, one or two little square nuts made a break for it. Of the few I had that were unglued, none remain. They're all glues now. There's probably a lot that will never be undone again, but those on the base and up the front left and right wall I would really recommend glueing so you can get that job done faster when you need it at a future date.

6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

The struggle is real.