IDEAS Trinamic TMC2100 - quieter (and better) stepper drivers (?)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by R Design, May 23, 2016.

1. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

You don't have to do any jumpers. Could it be a loose contact or so ? :confused:

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Is it only the "Pololu compatible" SSS (SilentStepStick) that need to change the jumpers?

3. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

@Rob Heinzonly I tried pulling it out and putting back in, giving it a jiggle and such. No luck, chucked the old one back in for today just to continue printing. I will try the other one I have (ordered 2) and see if maybe it is just faulty. I have tried altering the acceleration, voltage, general movement speed and I am at a loss.

Solved!! It seems I had to put the voltage up to 0.73, is there going to be any issue with the motor at this level?

#43 Syko_Symatic, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

The only thing you have to check is the motor temperature. But then again, the motor can get over 100°C without problems.

5. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Mabe you bought some with sensor resistor 0.2ohm instead of 0,05, thus resulting in 1A max when put to 1.66V. So you will not harm the motors.

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

Wow, the abbrev TTT is translatable from Norwegian! "Things Take Time"!

I finally got round to fix the rest of the SSS with my USB voltage fix. Got some bigger heat sinks as it's more room on the back side. This is the only stepper drivers I have seen with a proper heat dissipation strategy.

The purple one is stock Bigbox driver with a heat sink I bought for it.

IMG_20160806_212514.jpg

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim Member

I've just started the upgrade to the TMC2100, and the difference in sound is just ridiculous. It is so quite, I never knew the chips made such a difference — I had always assumed it was the motors responsible for the noise.

Two questions for those who have got this all up and running.

1) What voltage did you ultimately run the chips at?
    2) What changes did you make to the Marlin firmware?

#47 Tim, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. Stian Indal Haugseth

I must say I never really heard that incredible lower sound level because when I set the amps to match whats stock with the original drivers I was about the same noise. But the issue here is the TCM2100 sets the RMS max amps not burst/peak. So it is not directly comparable. The only way to really compare is to first tune the perfect Vref on the stock drivers then do the same on the SSS. Unfortunatly I never got around doing this on the stock driver.

But.. all in all, the steppers are incredibly much more silent now after tuning the Vref on SSS :rolleyes:

1) Too early to say if my voltages are to low. I have turned them all down a bit while running some GCODE to see if it started skipping. How it will behave when actually printing I dont know yet. I'll post back when I have something that works.
    2) The only changes that needs to be done is changing Y steps per unit from 180 to 360 because the SSS does not have 1/8 microstepping. So we need to double it to 1/16.

and ..

3) I have set all the jumpers on the RUMBA to open. This is supposed to enable 1/16 microstepping with interpolation to 256.

9. Tim

Tim Member

That's pretty much what I've done as well. I do have two problems at the moment however with that setup

1) The extruder won't turn correctly (I'm using the new Titan motors @ .8v). I'm guessing I am not giving it enough power.
    2) The Y axis seems only traveling half the distance (despite the change to 360 steps).

Will post updates as I sort...

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

1) Cant help you with the titans. Not using them yet but a motor is a motor. They worked fine with the other driver?
    2) Strange. Sure you have flashed correctly with 360 steps?

One more thing I forgot. I had to reverse alle the steppers in FW. I could have flipped all the wires but that meant screwing lose the Z wires as well.

11. Tim

Tim Member

Right, solved it all :)

1) I had not soldered the stepper driver pins to the PCB correctly, so I re-soldered the joint and this worked as expected
    2) After uploading the new firmware, the old ystep value (180) was still held in the eeprom. To get the new values (360) from the firmware, browse to "Control -> Load Failsafe" option, then choose "Control -> Store Memory". You'll also need to re-level your bed as the bed level values will be lost when you load the failsafe.

I think that's it. Will try actually printing something tomorrow!

#51 Tim, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  12. Stian Indal Haugseth

Having dialed in my voltages a bit more after some skipping.

My vref now and seems like its holding:
    X: 600 mV
    Y: 905 mV
    Z: 419 mV
    E0: 1014 mV
    E1: 1006 mV
    Z1: 420 mV

Remember I do not need much on Z because I use two drivers for Z.

You can hear the fans but not much stepping:

13. Tim

Tim Member

Leveled my print bed and first print worked flawlessly this morning :) I'm running all the motors at ~.8v except the extruder which I'm running at ~1.05v. These are not even remotely scientific values, but seem to work.

I've discovered the same problem as you however by the sound of it. My fans are now obnoxiously loud. Guess that's my next upgrade :)

14. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a video running at faster speeds. Thinking of doing this upgrade but I hear others complaining of a high pitched whine when running fast.

#54 moshen, Aug 9, 2016
  15. Tim

Tim Member

Here you go

This is running at 7000 mm/min (with a 35% infill) which is twice the speed I've ever tried printing before, and I can't see any quality issues at all :) It cut the time taken to print 3DBenchy down to 1h, 14 mins which is super exciting in it's own right. As for the squeaky sound, I can't hear it, though the rattle on the Y axis is more pronounced (am yet to install any dampeners on it). The fan is by far the biggest noise factor right now.

(The banging in the video is roadworks outside my house - not the printer!)

#55 Tim, Aug 9, 2016
    moshen and Stian Indal Haugseth like this.
  16. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Ok bought from Filastruder. Now I need to get four heatsinks from somewhere..

17. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

could be useful to the community to have a wiki type of post so that we know what we should do to use them :)

Even if I wonder if it does not make sense to just switch to a duetWiFi that has them on and would let us get rid of the raspberry pi (but no camera then)

#57 fpex, Aug 9, 2016
  18. Anthony Ballard

HI All

Sorry to resurrect this, but I was also interested in using TMC2100 on my BB. Ordered one for a test.

This is in connection with having to provide the VM power to the SSS before the logic can provide power through VCC/VIO.

I've been looking at the RUMBA schematics and don't believe its an issue. The power to VCC/VIO is coupled to the 5V_DCDC power source that is directly coupled to the 24V input on the RUMBA which in turn powers the VIN1. In order for 5V_DCDC to be powered, then the VM pin would have to be powered anyway.

If you are like me and have changed the USB power selector from standalone to USB Power, you power the logic side, but the 5V_DCDC is not powered.. 5V_DCDC cannot be powered unless the entire RUMBA board is powered. In this case you are fulfilling the requirements to have VM powered before/at same time as the VIO/VCC pin.

I could be overly tired and not thinking straight, but I cannot see how the situation that is warned about could come about on the RUMBA board. VCC/VIO input for the stepper driver is decoupled from the USB logic. Its not possible for 5V_DCDC to be powered without the VIN1 powered, which powers VMOT/VM.

Can someone confirm?

#58 Anthony Ballard, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  19. Stian Indal Haugseth

I would only be happy to be proven wrong. You might be right in this. I really never bothered to check if USB actually can power the VIO.

Assumption is the mother to a lot of f...-ups.

mike01hu likes this.
  20. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I just installed this. Very impressed at the difference it makes with noise. I ended up using Stian's voltages as a guide but went down to .6v on Y and Extruder. We'll see if works well without skipping. The X axis is near silent. I still get a vibration on Y even with astrosyn dampers, seems to be resonating against the frame. Still much quieter than before.

One major issue though. Since we need to use 1/16 microstepping for Y, it uses more CPU and now I can't use the LIN_ADVANCE feature I've enabled in Marlin RC7 when printing fast (100mm/s infill). The extruder just gets stalled. This is tracked in https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/4114

Oh well, I did a new build without LIN_ADVANCE for now, but it's a huge bummer I have to choose either quiet steppers or LIN_ADVANCE.