IDEAS Trinamic TMC2100 - quieter (and better) stepper drivers (?)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by R Design, May 23, 2016.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

You could try 1/4 microstepping with interpolation and see if that works. Not sure what will happen to the resolution on Y.

2. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I'll try it. At 1/4 microsteping or 90 steps/mm for Y that's still a resolution of 11 microns, probably still in the level of noise. I'm not sure how to set the jumpers for that, datasheet says CFG_2 to VCC_IO and CFG 1 to Open.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

I did a quick look into the config and schematics but I got a bit confused. Wondering if the docs I have used have reversed the CFG1-3 versus pin numbering. And there are one thing I don't get with the SilentStepStick schematics. I need to pick one out of the BB and verify pins and jumpers.

4. Stian Indal Haugseth

No, it was just a temporarily confusion.

For 1/4 microstepping and interpolation:

CFG1 open is a bit more hassle. We have two alternatives. Either to unsolder the solder jumper for CFG1 on the SSS board or remove the pin from the SSS to the RUMBA. There is a pulldown resistor on RUMBA on CFG1 that come in to play if MS1 jumper is open.

CFG2 to VCC_IO is simple. Just set MS2 jumper closed on RUMBA.

5. Tim

Tim Member

How do you do that? I just physically removed the pins, but doing it by software would be a whole heap more elegant.

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

@Tim, I was thinking of physically removing the pin yes. It is not a quick to reverse operation. The solder jumper is very small so if you don't mind soldering small stuff that would be my bet.

RUMPA and RAMPS and the SSS TCM2100 does not have the possibility to do this by software.

7. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking into it! I will try to unsolder the jumper. To clarify, I leave the Rumba MS1 & MS3 jumper open and MS2 jumper closed (connected)?

8. Stian Indal Haugseth

9. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Thanks @Stian Indal Haugseth, I ended up pulling CFG1 pin on TMC2100 and closed MS2 on Rumba and compiled Marlin w/90steps/mm on Y and things are working at 1/4 microstep. Doing a comparison test print now that has a lot of smooth curves at both 360steps/mm and now 90steps/mm on Y to see if I can tell a difference. Since most printers use a range of under 100steps/mm (Ultimaker is 80steps/mm) I doubt I will..

10. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Some interesting results - I ran a test print with the TMC2100 Y axis at 1/16th & 1/4th microstepping and it appears I actually get better quality at 1/4th microstepping.

These prints run the same gcode and the only thing I changed was put the stepper at 1/4th microstepping with relevant firmware change:

Perhaps at 1/16th microstepping the torque is so low between steps it does not give you consistent lines?

Here is the test print model if anyone wants to see if they can reproduce my results:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/curve-test-print

11. Stian Indal Haugseth

Wow. Interesting! I may have to do the same now :) Any difference in noise?

12. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

No difference that I can tell since it should still be interpolating from 1/4 stepping to 1/256. The best explanation I heard for why this happens is that 360steps/mm is just too much for the RUMBA:

"30*360 is 10800 steps/sec. The maximum interrupt frequency is about 10 kHz on Marlin, so you'd be in double step territory."

If you decide to switch, print a test print before and after.

13. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The drivers we use in the Duet WiFi are also by Trinamic, they are the TMC2660 which also do spread cycle and stealth chop, and microstepping up to to 1/256. Like the TMC2100 they are sensitive to the order in which you power things, but we have a power monitor on the Duet WiFi that takes care of that. There is another thread in this forum section on upgrading the BigBox to Duet WiFi electronics.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  14. Anthony Ballard

I saw similar "defects" on the standard drivers. I had turned the voltage quite low, around 0.44 and I was running it too fast for it.

So I think you are correct. Possibly too fast vs too little torque. So maybe jack up the voltage?

15. Tim

Tim Member

Just a note to anyone considering this upgrade, the new DuetWifi board (https://www.duet3d.com/) is another way of getting the same benefits (ie a much more silent printer) along with a bunch of other cool things. The DuetWifi board is a replacement to the RAMP Board, and has similar (but better) Trinamic drivers chips. Am yet to make the upgrade myself, but have preordered one.

More info

https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/bigbox-duetwifi-controller.1766/ -- BigBox user who's made the upgrade
    https://www.duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=52#p433 -- RichRap's notes on his upgrade
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?416,689468 - Discussion between the differences of the TMC2100 and the TMC2660 stepper driver chips

16. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Thanks for the idea and all the information you wrote down. I just installed and fixed the last on my BigBox so I'll add this for future reference.

So, installing TMC2100 (SilentStepStick) was easy once you compiled all the information. Bought them from an EU retailer since E3D is not stocking them. You can install 1 or do them all so you need from 1 to 5 (6 if doing IDEX).

You can buy them with pre-soldered pins or do it yourself. In my case, I chose the latter since it's cheaper and I like soldering.
    - For X, Z, E0, E1 and E2 (2nd X-driver in IDEX) you simply solder on all the pins (side with chip facing down). For Y, you pull out the pin for CFG1 before soldering in the pin strip. This makes your stepper move in 1/4 microstepping instead of 1/16 (no 1/8 support).

- Attach a heatsink on the backside of the driver with some non-conducting heat transfer tape. Place is marked with dots.

- Remove your current drivers and note the jumpers beneath the drivers on the Rumba. The jumpers should all be put in an open state - that is, remove them and place them back on one pin and the other pin on the Rumba free. On Y you should leave the middle jumper in a closed state.

- Place the new drivers in the sockets - in correct orientation! The potentiometer hole should be facing north when you stand in front of the machine or DIR-pin in the lower left corner facing you.

- You need to compile new firmware or change the steps for Y-axis from 180 down to 90 since we're now using 1/4 microstepping instead of 1/8.

- Start up the BigBox and adjust the driver voltages. It's the same procedure as when doing it for the normal drivers. Use VREF and GND when using your multimeter. I think a value of 0,60-0,65 is a good starting point (for people with 17HS10-0704S, I got the extruders working at 0,45). Listen, test and adjust as necessary. Here's an image to show you the measurement points you can choose from https://umgallery.ultimaker.com/uploads/gallery/album_2009/gallery_33503_2009_425986.jpg.

Use the removed drivers in your next Arduino project!

17. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

18. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Watch out for fakes, they don't work very well. Originals have the pot on the underside.

http://www.watterott.com/en/SilentStepStick-TMC2100-5V

We have some on order and should be with us soon, I will be doing a BigBox how-to upgrade post about them.

mike01hu likes this.
  19. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Thanks Greg,

I'll hold my horses!!

Would rather get them from you guys but I was being a typical impatient customer, the kind I ironically complain about at work!

Greg Holloway likes this.
  20. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Greg, any news on this?

Hugofitz likes this.